Workington Reds boss Chris Willcock is ready to press the reset button to get his team back on track after a disappointing home draw.

The NPL West leaders threw away a two-goal lead at home to 1874 Northwich, conceding goals in the last 16 minutes to drop two points.

It could have been even worse as from the very last kick of the game substitute Aaron Smith rattled the bar with a fine 30 yard free-kick.

Willcock said: “That is the first time since I came to the club that we have not been up to standard in all departments. It was very disappointing to throw away the lead,which we had established without being convincing.

“We never controlled the game or were in control of the ball, but that’s also part of where we are at the moment with so many injuries. There just seems no end to them.

“It’s going to be a question now of dusting ourselves down, analysing what went wrong and pressing the reset button for Saturday at Glossop North End.”

It seems to be two steps forward and three back at the moment for Reds.

Although they welcomed back Conor Tinnion and Dan Wordsworth to the bench, Iyrwah Gooden and Donae Lawrence had been injured in training and Brad Hubbold limped-out of the action against Northwich after only seven minutes.

Hubbold, a key player in midfield, was badly missed against Northwich. Although both Paul Marshall and young Keelan Leslie did particularly well in the first-half, there was no questioning Northwich’s superiority in possession after the break.

The Reds had started well and took the lead after only three minutes when Conor Gaul set-up Steve Rigg who finished with a crisp shot into the bottom corner.

Northwich then had a good spell when Atkinson saved well from Callum Gardner but it was Workington who scored again on 19 minutes. Gaul cut inside before finishing clinically with a curled shot beyond keeper Nasakhare Aghayere.

Northwich had most of the possession in the second half without troubling Atkinson but on 77 minutes they got a fortunate break.

A shot from Matthew Woolley hardly looked as if it would trouble Atkinson but it struck the arm of Sam Smith, and although clearly not deliberate, referee Alex Bennett awarded the penalty.

Wooley beat Atkinson easily from the spot and seven minutes later they grabbed the equaliser.

A scramble at a corner saw Atkinson scoop out the ball but the linesman flagged it had crossed the line with substitute Jake Parker claiming the finish.

Then from the long-range free-kick at the end of the three minutes of time added on, Smith’s effort ballooned into the air off the bar and the referee blew for time.