AHEAD of this summer’s potential staycation boom, the Lake District National Park Authority has compiled an information pack on how to create a pop-up campsite for this year’s visitors.

A pop-up campsite is the temporary use of a field for a small number of tents, for a maximum of 56 days, to give visitors to the Lake District the chance to enjoy a night under the stars.

No special license is required and as long as no alterations are being made to the property, planning permission isn’t needed.

The National Park’s Farming Officer, Andrea Meanwell ran a campsite on her own family farm last year, she said: “Last year we saw an unprecedented number of visitors to the Lake District National Park, many of whom were looking for campsites. If we have more campsite spaces available we will hopefully reduce ‘fly camping’ and litter throughout the park. We are anticipating similar numbers of visitors this year.”

You need to consider the location of your site carefully. Sites are needed away from the busy centre of the Lake District. If you have a field in a quiet area, away from any neighbours or a local community, not near a SSSI or historic monument/listed building this may be a possible site. Check that your tenancy agreement if you are a tenant does not exclude camping, and that your environmental agreements on your land do not prohibit camping or that any natural environment features or wildlife habitats will be disturbed.

Sites for caravans and motorhomes come under different rules. For a small site where you take less than 5 caravans or motorhomes you can apply to be a certificated site under various bodies including the Motor Caravanner’s Club and you would need to already have hard ground that would take these vehicles. If you are taking more than 5 or would need to make changes to your land such as putting in hard standing you will need to apply for planning permission.

You need to risk assess your site. You can find a risk assessment for campsites on Eden District Council’s website. You will need to consider the risks on your farm and how you can help campers to stay safe. Think about any information that you can provide for them via email or on a temporary notice board. Insurance can usually be provided by the insurer who insures your land for public liability. There is usually an additional charge for this.

You do not need a licence for tents for 28 days. Tents for a longer period of time do require a licence from your local authority and will also need planning permission.

You would need to provide portable toilets, a handwashing station and a supply of water. You may also need to put down some mats in gateways if the weather is wet, and remove them after the camp site closes. You will need to consider how the rubbish from the site will be disposed of and arrange for this to be taken away by a commercial rubbish company or your local authority.

Please check the Heritage Gateway and search by keyword or the map to find any recorded historic sites on your land. These may need protecting from campsite visitors and vehicles.

Find out more about farming and using land for campsites in the Lake District at: www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/caringfor/farming/farming-in-protected-landscapes