Firefighters have tackled a second garage fire in Brampton inside one week – sparking calls for safety.

Brampton Fire Station and Carlisle West Fire Station were called-out to a garage in a built-up area that was “well alight” at around 1pm on Wednesday.

The fire which caused damage to the structure and the items within, was extinguished by fire crews using two hosereels.

A spokesperson for Brampton Fire Station said: “Quick actions from the crew stopped any further damage to the property.”

It was the second fire of its kind in the space of a week.

A spokesperson for Cumbria Fire and Rescue service said: “A high number of fires in Cumbria are caused by the misuse of electrical appliances and these can be easily prevented.

“A house fire can have devastating and long term effects, not only destroying belongings and memories but also putting you and your loved ones at risk.”

They added: “We are urging everybody to follow our simple advice that will help them to stay safe in their homes.”

The fire service has advised the public to always buy from a reputable dealer and never buy appliances second hand.

Residents of Cumbria are also advised to register appliances with the manufacturer so that they can be notified if there is a problem.

The spokesperson said: “If you’re concerned about an appliance in your home, use Electrical Safety First’s online product checker to see if it has been recalled.”

Visit for more advice on using your appliances safely.