Residents in Copeland who are on a low income and have been asked to self-isolate are being reminded they may be entitled to £500.

Copeland Council is encouraging working residents on low incomes in the borough to check if they are eligible for the national Test and Trace Support Payment - should they be asked to self isolate.

A Copeland Council spokesman explained: "If you work but are on a low income, have been asked to self-isolate through the NHS Test and Trace Service, and will lose money as a result, you may be entitled to a £500 payment to help keep you afloat.

"You must be employed or self-employed, unable to work from home and be required to self-isolate from September 28 - payments can be backdated - to be eligible."

The individual must be in receipt of one of the following to be eligible: Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, Income Based Employment and Support Allowance, Income Based Job Seekers Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit or Pension Credit.

Only those receiving a notification from NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate are eligible.