Court date for man accused of child sex offences

A Cleator Moor man who is accused of multiple sex offences against a child under the age of 13 is due to appear in court.

Dale Anthony Hughes-Tyson, 26, of Calder Crescent, appeared at the magistrates court in Workington on Friday.

But magistrates directed the case should be heard at the crown court in Carlisle.

The court heard that Hughes-Tyson had been charged for offences which allegedly took place between 2010 and 2013.

Some of the incidents were said to have happened in Whitehaven, while others occurred in Cleator Moor.

All the charges allege that he touched a girl under the age of 13 and the touching was sexual.

Court papers did not indicate if the alleged offences relate to a single victim or multiple ones.

In two of the incidents, the alleged victim was aged between 4 and 6.

The next hearing is scheduled to take place on September 25.

Hughes-Tyson was remanded on unconditional bail.

Resus area targeted by man who wanted to steal – court told

A west Cumbrian man who entered the resus area at the West Cumberland Hospital with intent to steal has appeared in court.

James Leslie Foxcroft, 32, of Birks Road, Cleator Moor, appeared at the magistrates' court in Workington on Monday.

He indicated a plea of guilty for the offence committed on July 29 and he is expected to be sentenced at the crown court in Carlisle on October 19.

On the same day he also made off without paying a taxi from the hospital to Birks Road.

After pleading guilty to the offence, magistrates fined him £40 and ordered him to pay £12 compensation.

Foxcroft also admitted a separate incident, on January 18, where he stole a bottle of rose wine, a variety pack of snickers, a fajita wrap, a bag of Haribos and a bar of Maltesers chocolate from B&M in Whitehaven.

The items cost a total of £8.28.

Foxcroft was fined £40, ordered to pay compensation to the shop and pay court costs of £85.

Driver, 18, in court after tragic crash

A Carlisle teenager has appeared in court after being charged with causing the death of a 17-year-old by dangerous driving.

James Stephenson Cooper, 18, is alleged to have committed the offence on the outskirts of Rockcliffe village on September 22 last year. The accident involved caused the death of Gavin Helps, say prosecutors.

Cooper has also been charged with two other offences.

The first of these is that he caused the serious injury of another passenger in the car, named in court papers as Niall Kennedy.

The third charge Cooper faces is that he drove dangerously between September 14 and September 17, 2019, in Carlisle. The car involved was the same VW Polo, say prosecutors.

No details of the prosecution case were outlined in court.

Cooper, of Beaver Road, Belle Vue, appeared briefly at Carlisle’s Rickergate Magistrates’ Court.

He did not formally enter a plea to any of the three charges that he faces.

District Judge Gerald Chalk said that the case could only be dealt with by a judge at the city’s crown court.

He therefore sent the case there for a hearing on October 21.

On that day, it is likely that Cooper will be asked to enter his pleas.

District Judge Chalk told Cooper: “I’m sending all three matters to the crown court sitting in Carlisle and you will make your first physical appearance there on October 21. You are under a legal obligation to attend court on that date.”

Prosecution papers say that Cooper was driving a Volkswagen Polo on Rockcliffe Road, on the outskirts of the village, when the accident happened.

In court, the defendant - dressed in a dark suit, shirt and tie - spoke only to confirm his personal details. He was represented during the 10 minute hearing by defence lawyer Mark Shepherd.

The families of both Mr Helps and the defendant were in court for the hearing.

After the tragedy, Mr Helps' family issued a tribute. Their statement said: “Gavin was a beloved son to Claire and loving brother to Laura and Matthew.

“He was taken from us too soon, in tragic circumstances. We will miss you.”

Workington man given curfew after breaching court order

Failing to stick to the terms of a court order has left a Workington man with a curfew.

Scott Motum, 25, of Cusack Crescent, appeared at West Cumbria Magistrates Court and admitted failing to attend appointments and failing to keep in touch with failing to keep in touch with his responsible officer on dates in January and March.

Magistrates issued him with a 21-day curfew from 7pm to 7am, running until October 11.

He was also told that he must pay costs of £60.

Teenager in court for sending malicious message

Sending a malicious message landed a Workington teenager with a curfew order.

Rachel Orme, 19, of Bolton Street, appeared at West Cumbria Magistrates Court in the town on Monday.

The court heard that she had sent a false electronic message on August 24 to cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety.

She admitted the offence and was given a four-week curfew from 7pm to 7am.

Magistrates also ordered that she must pay £85 in costs along with a surcharge of £95.

Motorist banned after cocaine found in his system

A Cockermouth man was banned after he was caught driving with cocaine in his system.

Adrian Lee Wilson, 35, of Dale View, pleaded guilty to the offence when he appeared at the magistrates' court in Workington on Tuesday.

The court heard that on April 17 he drove on the A5086 at Cockermouth when he had 20ug/L of cocaine in his blood.

The legal limit is 10ug/L.

Wilson was disqualified from driving for 15 months.

As well as the ban, he he was ordered to pay a £125 fine, £85 court costs and a £34 victim surcharge.