A THUG from Carlisle, once jailed for attacking a woman police officer who was helping him, has been prosecuted over more violence – this time on his partner.

Kieron Murray’s drink-fuelled violence in 2017 caused outrage.

His victim then was Carlisle police dog handler PC Diane Irving, who suffered appalling facial injuries after Murray – drunk and sprawled on the ground – lashed out at her as she helped him.

Murray found himself back in court last week for a fresh set of offences.

He admitted causing damage at the home of a woman in Grange Road, Carlisle, after she was assaulted on March 7 by her partner, who was Murray’s friend.

Murray was involved in damaging various items at the property.

He pleaded guilty to causing criminal damage after breaking a dining room chair, two mops, a kitchen drawer and a light bulb.

On August 9, Murray, of Esk Road, Lowry Hill, Carlisle, caused more trouble as he went to his partner’s home in Carlisle, clearly drunk, the city’s Rickergate Magistrates’ Court heard.

It was 1.30am.

While he was there he smashed plant pots, dented a bin with a knife, smashed a vase on the floor and then ripped a central heating thermostat off the wall, prosecutor John Moran told the court.

He then followed his partner to a bedroom where he kicked her in the back, though the woman did not suffer any visible injury. Paul Tweddle, for Murray, said he had shown genuine remorse for his offending.

There was also a suggestion he was at the lower end of the autistic spectrum which had been combined with his use of alcohol. Magistrates imposed a community order.

Part of the sentence will include 25 days of rehabilitation activity overseen by the Probation Service.

Murray must also pay the woman he assaulted compensation of £120; and the same amount of compensation to the woman whose property he damaged.

Magistrates also ordered that the defendant must observe a 7pm to 7am curfew for the next 16 weeks.

He must pay a £90 victim surcharge and prosecution costs of £85; and the court also banned him from entering Marina Crescent in Carlisle.

The earlier violence for which Murray was prosecuted happened while he was having a night out in Botchergate, Carlisle, on December 27, 2017. He had been seen fighting with another man in nearby Mary Street.

PC Irving investigated and found Murray on the ground, and so went to check that he was okay. He reacted by punching her in the face – at least twice according to witnesses. She suffered severe bruising.

A defence lawyer told the court that Murray felt remorse.