A warning has been issued after toxic algae was found at beauty spots in the Lake District.

Carlisle East Fire Station issued a warning through its Facebook page to anyone planning on visiting the lakes after Blue Green Algae was found in Ullswater.

Blue-green algal blooms can produce toxins which can be harmful to wild animals, farm livestock and domestic pets.

In humans, they have been known to cause rashes after skin contact and illnesses if swallowed.

Firefighters said: "These blooms of algae are extremely toxic for dogs, and can cause irritation in humans.

"Having visited Ullswater today, we can confirm that there are large blooms today, and there was none visible at the weekend, so the water has changed rapidly."

Anyone who spots Blue Green Algae is advised to report it to the Environment Agency incident line on 0800 80 70 60.