TWO casualties needed treatment after a petrol canister accidentally exploded at a house in Whitehaven.

It was the first of two incidents that both crews from the town's fire station attended within the space of three hours today.

They were first scrambled to a fire a Rutland Avenue after they were called out at 11.10am.

A spokesman for Whitehaven Fire Station said: "Two casualties were given first aid treatment for minor burns and passed over to our North West Ambulance Service colleagues."

He added that the blaze was caused by petrol accidentally "erupting" from a container.

The second incident was a HGV cab fire on a farm in Galemire which was called in just after 1.30pm.

The spokesman said two crew members doused the flames with a hose reel jet.