FLOOD victims in the Eden area are being given details of financial help they may be entitled to.

Homes and businesses in the area will be able to apply for a number of schemes funded by the Government and administered locally by the District Council, say council officials.

Anyone whose home has been flooded can get a full 100 per cent discount on their council tax for at least three months.

This will also apply to any temporary accommodation they need if they are unable to return to their home.

A similar scheme for business rates relief will be available for any shops or businesses that have been unable to resume trading because of flooding.

Community Recovery Grants of £500 per households are also available to provide further help to those who have been flooded.

There are also Business Recovery Grants of £2,500 for small and medium-sized businesses which have suffered severe impact from the floods for costs not covered by appropriate insurance.

Eden District Council Leader Virginia Taylor said: “Having your home or business flooded is a truly devastating experience.

“I hope these grants and relief packages will go some way to helping these residents and businesses who are going through this ordeal, and I would urge them all to contact us and make full use of the help that is available.”

The funding package was announced after the Government activated the emergency Bellwin scheme after Storm Ciara and Storm Dennis.

Under the scheme, local authorities dealing with the flooding can apply to have 100 per cent of their eligible costs, above a threshold, reimbursed by the Government.

Anyone entitled to this flood recovery relief should contact the customer services department at Eden District Council on 01768 817817 or via customer.services@eden.gov.uk