FIREFIGHTERS are urging the public to keep any bins away from their properties as they were called out to another deliberate blaze.

Shortly before 8pm yesterday (January 18) fire engines from Carlisle East, Carlisle West and Longtown fire stations were called to a house fire on Meade Road in the Harraby area of the city.

A recycling bag had been deliberately set on fire, with the blaze then spreading to the porch.

Police and ambulance crews were called, with the latter treating a casualty for smoke inhalation.

One hose reel jet was used to combat the fire, with crews at the scene for more than two hours.

Firefighters are urging homeowners to leave their bins indoors until the last possible moment, to avoid them being left unattended overnight.