Carlisle firefighters have highlighted a weekend callout as a reminder to residents of the dangers of Carbon Monoxide.

Shortly after 6pm on Saturday evening, a crew from Carlisle east fire station were called out to a property in Biglands, just north of Wigton.

A spokesman for Carlisle east fire station explained: "The owner of the property had been feeling unwell, and his dogs had been sick.

"Crews wearing breathing apparatus checked the property with our gas monitoring equipment, and found that carbon monoxide was present.

"They evacuated and ventilated the property, and left the incident in the hands of a gas engineer.

"Fortunately the owner of the property had a bit of knowledge about the signs and symptoms of the poisoning, and called us out.

"The owners of the property and the dogs should make a full recovery."

The spokesman added that anyone who has gas in their homes should purchase a carbon monoxide detector.

"Carbon monoxide is a silent killer, and you cannot smell or taste the gas.

"Although we do not provide carbon monoxide detectors, we would suggest that anyone with gas appliances in their home buys one to give them an early warning if a problem occurs."