A MAN was punched, kicked and beaten with a chair leg during a “brutal” attack inside his own Carlisle home.

Krzysztof Luczak was at his Ennerdale Avenue home in Botcherby on the afternoon of November 25 last year when he was set upon in an attack which had dramatic consequences, Carlisle Crown Court heard.

The drama unfolded after he received a visit from another man, Karol Szykulski, the pair having earlier talked about sharing the rented property.

But during disagreement, 23-year-old Szykulski became angry and violent.

Describing the resulting attack on Mr Luczak, prosecutor Tim Evans told the court “He describes the defendant punching him a number of times in the face.

“Mr Luczak went to the kitchen floor at which point the defendant picked up a kitchen chair and used the leg of the chair to beat him, hitting him all over the body with the chair while he, Mr Luczak, was on the floor and in no position to offer any threat or defence.”

Szykulski then left the house.

Mr Luczak, who was also kicked, did not lose consciousness but there was blood everywhere, he said.

He managed to crawl on to a couch, curl up and then go to sleep. He visited hospital the following day, where he was treated for significant bruising across his body and a nasal fracture.

Mr Evans described the victim as “skinny” and “slightly built”. He was an older man, so there had been a real physical mismatch between him and his powerfully-built attacker, Szykulski.

Unable to work after the attack, he lost his job and home, and became reliant on a foodbank. “His bruises have healed but not the emotional or mental aspects of it,” said Mr Evans.

Mr Luczak had since spoken of being left “a shadow of my past self”.

David Wales, defending, said Szykulski perceived he was “under threat” at the time, but added: “He accepts his reaction was over the top.”

Szykulski, who pleaded guilty to an assault causing actual bodily harm, was jailed for 16 months for what Recorder Michael Murray said was “a brutal and seemingly unnecessary attack”.

Szykulski, of Shaddongate, Carlisle, was also banned from contacting his victim for five years.