Firefighters were called out to a club in Maryport after a christening cake caught fire.

The blaze broke out in the kitchen of Grasslot Welfare Club after the cake had been placed on the hob, which was switched on.

Firefighters from Workington Fire Station attended the incident at about 7.30pm on Sunday.

Hayley Hewitson, who runs the bar at the club, said: "It was just a small blaze in the kitchen that was extinguished. "There was no major damage and nobody was hurt.

"We had had a christening and they had put the cake on the hob in the kitchen and the hob was on. It was completely accidental.

"We are open as usual and no functions will be affected."

Firefighters extinguished the cake then used a fan to ventilate the kitchen.