Firefighters issue a warning after a fire broke out in the kitchen near Carlisle.

Crews, from Carlisle East and West Station, were called to the fire, just after 9pm, at Cairn Wood, Heads Nook.

A spokesman from Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service said: "On arrival, crews discovered that a kettle had been placed upon a hob in the kitchen, and the hob accidentally switched on.

"The fire was out on arrival, crews used a thermal imaging camera to be sure."


"The crew completed a safe and well visit, checked the smoke alarms in the property, and reassured the occupants who were extremely worried."

After a number of kitchen fires the spokesman added:

"We have had numerous fires recently where hobs have accidentally been switched on and set fire to things stored on top.

"Please do not store anything on top of cookers."