A YOB ejected from a pub for letting off a fire-extinguisher yelled racial insults and threats at a Nigerian bar worker.

Magistrates at Carlisle’s Rickergate court heard how 28-year-old Gary Callum Thompson, who was drinking with work colleagues in Penrith, repeatedly shouted racial insults and made monkey noises towards the victim.

He admitted using racially aggravated threatening behaviour.

Pam Ward, prosecuting, said the defendant visited the Castlegate Arms pub on the evening of June 6 this year.

Just after midnight, he activated a fire-extinguisher near the pool table for no good reason. Responding, pub worker Richard Onouha asked him to leave.

“Outside the pub,” continued Mrs Ward, “the defendant continued to make monkey gestures and noises before attempting to punch the injured party in the face, which he managed to avoid. The victim was angry and upset.

‘The victim’s partner, who was present, said she was terrified by this male’s behaviour and upset and disgusted by the language that was used towards her partner.”

When interviewed by police, Thompson said he could not recall what happened. On the night in question he had drank eight pints, he said.

He had a previous conviction for affray.

Ruth Forster, for the defendant, said he wished to apologise formally to both the court and his victim for his behaviour that night.

“He feels deeply saddened and remorseful,” said the lawyer. He felt that what happened had been completely out of character.

His work colleagues who were in the pub that night were completely shocked by the defendant’s behaviour.

A businessman, who employed 14 people on a large project in Penrith, Thompson, he had no recollection of the offence.

Passing sentence, presiding magistrate Mark Travers said Thompson’s behaviour that night had been “abysmal.’

He told the defendant, who gave his address as Windsor Crescent, Newcastle:”You should understand that you have caused psychological damage to people.

‘We have looked at this very, very seriously and we will not tolerate that in any city in this country. ... You are in the dock today and there was a chance that you would not be coming out.”

Magistrates imposed 280 hours of unpaid work, along with prosecution costs of £85, a victim surcharge for the same amount, and £100 compensation to the victim.