A FRESH warning has been issued after firefighters in Carlisle were called to a second fire involving a hob in less than a week.

Crews from Carlisle West and Lazonby were sent to deal with a fire on Barrock Street, St Aidans in Carlisle just after 7pm on Wednesday.

Upon their arrival, the teams found a fire involving the electric hob of an oven.

A spokesman from Carlisle West said: "We worked with colleagues from Cumbria Police and the North West Ambulance Service, with the situation quickly resolved with minimal damage and no injuries.

"Having attended a similar incident just two days ago we are reminding everyone to please be careful and not place any items on hobs other than those designed for such."

The spokesman added that Cumbria Fire and Rescue can provide free home safety checks and free smoke alarms to all who want them.

"Please contact your local station or phone 0800 358 4777 and we will arrange a convenient time to visit. We work 24/7 every day of the year and can visit day or night to suit," he continued.

On Monday, a Carlisle family had a lucky escape after an aerosol air freshener exploded.

A child needed hospital treatment for burns after the incident in a house on Raffles Avenue.

It was triggered after the electric cooker on which the aerosol had been left, was accidentally turned on.