AN elderly man suffered slight smoke inhalation after fire broke out at his Harraby home in Carlisle.

Fire crews from the stations in the east and the west of the city were called out to the blaze just after 1pm today in a terraced bungalow in Pennine Gardens, Harraby.

Crew manager John Murphy said: "The occupiers, an elderly man, was led to safety by his daughter."

The crews administered oxygen therapy to the man because he was suffering from slight smoke inhalation, said the officer.

The fire is thought to have started in the living room of the bungalow, and may have been caused by an electric fire.

Crew manager Murphy said firefighters were at the scene for around an hour and used a thermal imaging camera and ventilation to clear smoke from the bungalow.

Working smoke alarms were fitted at the property.

He added: "The fire is still under investigation, but it's worth pointing out the importance of having working smoke alarms in your property."