Plans have been revealed to merge two Maryport schools.

The governors of Maryport Infant School and Maryport CofE Junior School want to join forced to create a single primary school.

If approved, the new Maryport CofE Primary School would open in September 2019.

The infant and junior schools currently operate in adjoining linked buildings at Camp Road but have two headteachers and two governing bodies.

A six-week consultation has been launched into the planned merger.

The idea came from the governors of the infant school to help secure its sustainability into the future.

Carol Jenkins, chairman of governors at the infant school, said: "In the last two years the schools have been working much closer together and we already do teacher training together and assemblies together.

"In terms of the staff, it would be better for professional development."

Both governing bodies were unanimously in favour of consulting on the proposal.

Julie Batsford, chairman of governors at the junior school, said: "I think it's really exciting, particularly for the children and the teachers. There are a lot of things to be considered so there'll be a lot of work and planning.

"We just want to hear feedback now and we hope parents and children can see the benefits like we can.

"A lot of the public already see it as one school, even though the two are funded and run separately.

"For pupils, having a single primary school can only better their education by providing continuity of teaching, planning and safeguarding, as well as stability."

She added that the move would also broaden teachers' opportunities for professional development, allowing them to work across a wider age range.

The governors and county council believe the new school would increase choice for parents, allowing them to sent their children to a CofE school for their entire primary education.

It would also secure a place in the one school for all children accepted into the reception class, saving parents having to reapply in year two to move to the juniors in year three.

But there would still be the option for parents of children at other schools in the town to apply for a place in the junior from year three.

The consultation runs until June 8, after which a decision will be taken about whether to move forward with the project.

If the decision is taken to press ahead, statutory notices will be published and there would be a further four weeks for people to submit their views before a final a decision is made.

The council's cabinet would then make a final decision, which is expected to take place on October 18.

And, if the decision was made to accept the proposal, work would then be done to confirm the staffing structure, layout and other practicalities for the new school.

A public meeting about the plans will be held at the junior school on May 17 from 6.30pm to 8pm.

To have your say on the plans visit