PLANNING (LISTED BUILDINGS & CONSERVATION AREAS) ACT 1990 SECTIONS 69 & 70 EXTENSION OF CHATSWORTH SQUARE AND PORTLAND SQUARE CONSERVATION AREANotice ID: BRA1195341
THE CITY COUNCIL OF CARLISLE CARLISLE
PLANNING (LISTED BUILDINGS & CONSERVATION AREAS) ACT 1990 SECTIONS 69 & 70 EXTENSION OF CHATSWORTH SQUARE AND PORTLAND SQUARE CONSERVATION AREA
Notice is hereby given that following public consultation and pursuant to section 69 of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990, Carlisle City Council on 18th March 2018 designated a revised boundary to Chatsworth Square and Portland Square Conservation Area.
The boundary designated by Carlisle City Council ("the Authority') on 1 st September 1992 is extended to include the area to the north-west of the Conservation Area at Compton Street and the part of Strand Road west of Compton Street.
The principal effects of being included within a conservation area are as follows:
1. The Authority is under a duty to prepare proposals to ensure the preservation or enhancement of the area.
2. That, with certain exceptions, it becomes an offence to demolish buildings within the area without first obtaining planning permission from the local planning authority.
3. Special publicity must be given to planning applications for development in the conservation area.
4. In carrying out any functions under the Planning Acts (and, in particular, in determining applications for planning permission and listed building consent), the Authority and Secretary of State are required to take into account the desirability of preserving or enhancing the character or appearance of the area.
5. Six weeks written notice must be given to the Authority before works are carried out to any trees.
6. The extent of works that may be carried out as permitted development without the need for planning permission is more limited for properties within the Conservation Area.
A plan showing the revised area together with a copy of the conservation
area appraisal is available for public inspection on the Authority's website:
and during opening hours at the Authority's offices at the
Civic Centre, Rickergate, Carlisle CA3 8QG
(9.00am-5pm Mon - Thurs, 9.00am-4.00pm Fri.)
Jane Meek Corporate Director of Economic Development
7th June 2019