Wednesday, 02 December 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Wanderers gain revenge for earlier defeat

Warwick Wanderers evened things out by beating Stanwix 2-0 on their home territory at Downagate to gain revenge for the 2-1 defeat at Stanwix earlier in the season.

Warwick took the lead five minutes into the game and grabbed a second goal, from a well worked corner, on the stroke of half time.

The Stanwix players pulled out all the stops in the second half but they were unable to breach a well organised Warwick defence and there was also some excellent defending from the visiting players who at times put their bodies on the line to prevent their opponents adding to their two goal first half lead.

The game began at a brisk pace with Johnny Westgarth, Aaron Roberts and Jack Crawford combining for Stanwix only to be thwarted by well timed tackles from Lewis Dixon and Harvey German.

Warwick replied with a swift move involving Robbie Allison and Adam Fisher which led to a shot from Szymon Chrachol which Stanwix defender Paul Harrison took on his chest to prevent a certain goal with his goalkeeper, Harry Robinson, well beaten.

Warwick gained a corner on their right and Robinson had to move swiftly to turn Fisher’s corner kick behind for a second corner. Allison then shot narrowly wide after intercepting a Stanwix pass before exchanging passes with Charlie Barnes.

A Stanwix move involving, Harry Hetherington, Crawford and Ben Clark, led to a corner after a scramble in the Warwick goalmouth but the danger was cleared by Barnes.

Warwick took the lead after five minutes following a brilliant run by Barnes who beat three opponents before squaring the ball to Chrachol who drove the ball into the net from close range with his right foot.

Fisher then provided Chrachol with a further shooting chance but Robinson made a good save. Warwick continued to attack with Allison passing to Chrachol but the striker was robbed by Harrison who cleared up field for Crawford to chase but German read the situation and calmly cut out the danger.

Roberts and Crawford linked up for the visitors but when the ball arrived at the feet of Westgarth his hurried shot swung wide of goal for a Warwick goal kick from which enabled Warwick goalkeeper, Martyn Petry, to start an attack Petrys’ long clearance led to Robinson cutting out a Fisher cross at the expense of a Warwick corner.

The Stanwix players had to be on the alert to deal with the quick thrusts of the Warwick attackers and Roberts did well to dispossess Dixon following an astute pass from Chrachol. Barnes then ran half the length of the field before a tackle from Lewis Glaister diverted the ball for a corner which was cleared by Harrison.

Warwick continued to attack with German supplying Allison who gained a throw-in when Abbie Eagling’s tackle diverted the ball into touch.

Stanwix took up the attack when Harrison combined with Westgarth who then played in Crawford but Barnes was quickly in to play the ball into touch. Clark then provided a chance for Glaister but Dixon was quick to intercept before linking up with Dan Smith whose shot was saved by Robinson.

With half time fast approaching Warwick gained a corner on their right when a swift move, involving Barnes and Allison, resulted in the ball going behind following a tackle from Clark. By playing the ball back to Dixon, instead of lofting it into the goalmouth, Allison took the Stanwix players completely by surprise and the Warwick lead was doubled when Dixon unleashed an unstoppable long range shot from out on the touchline. Robinson did well to get a hand to the ball but he had little chance of saving and he could only help the ball into the roof of the net.

The goal was a timely one as it came right on the stroke of half time.

Warwick Wanderers kicked off the second half and a long ball from Barnes immediately put them on the attack. Chrachol had a great chance to double his goals tally but stout defending from Eagling, Harrison and Percival- together with brave goalkeeping from Robinson- somehow prevented the ball from crossing the goal line.

Stanwix were awarded a free-kick and Glaister played the ball into a crowded goal area where it was cleared by German only as far as Harrison whose first time volley was off target. Harrison was again in action when he cleared a dangerous centre from Chrachol who latched onto the ball following a Smith header from a German throw.

Stanwix picked up their game and a long clearance from Robinson was helped on by Adam Tiffin towards the Warwick goal but Dixon cleared the danger. Stanwix gained a corner on their right and Tiffin’s flag kick was met by Glaister who headed over the bar.

Tiffen played the ball through the Warwick defence for Crawford to chase but Petry read the situation and raced out of his goal to kick clear. Clark and Roberts worked the ball forward from a throw-in but the eventual cross was cleared by German.

The game was fast and furious with first Allison having a shot blocked by Eagling and then Dixon sprinting forward only to be dispossessed by Glaister.

Both defences were coping well and both sets of players were now finding it hard to make a break through. Barnes went on a run for Warwick but he was unable to beat Roberts who timed his tackle to perfection.

Stanwix cleverly worked a short corner on their left involving Tiffen and Westgarth who cut in before dispatching his shot into the side netting. A corner on the right followed resulting in Hetherington heading over from a good delivery by Harrison.

Stanwix continued to push with Crawford beating his man before putting his centre behind the goal. Brooklyn Watson beat Crawford to a pass from Roberts as the home defence held firm against repeated Stanwix attacks.

Warwick Wanderers had the final say with Smith having a shot at goal but Robinson made a fine save and the game ended two-nil in favour of the home team.

WARWICK WANDERERS: Martyn Petry, Lewis Dixon, Harvey German, Charlie Barnes, Robbie Allison, Brooklyn Watson, Adam Fisher, Chrachol and Smith.

STANWIX: Harry Robinson, Abbie Eagling, Lewis Glaister, Paul Harrison, Harry Hetherington, Aaron Roberts, Ben Clark, Jack Crawford, Johnny Westgarth and Adam Tiffin.

REFEREE: Nick Stobbs.

MAN OF THE MATCH: Lewis Dixon, right back, Warwick Wanderers: Lewis covered lots of ground and was highly proficient both as an attacker and a defender. His positional sense was superb and his speed of thought enabled him to make numerous interceptions thus gaining possession of the ball. Lewis scored a wonder goal just before half time.


News & Star What's On search


Will a new tattoo studio in Carlisle persuade you to get a tattoo?

Yes - I might be tempted

No - I don't like tattoos

I would rather go to a more established studio

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for: