World Cup work on target at Workington Town's Derwent Park stadium
Last updated at 11:36, Wednesday, 23 January 2013
With just over a week to the start of Workington Town’s Championship season, the £450,000 redevelopment of Derwent Park is on target.
The funding, from Britain’s Energy Coast and Allerdale Borough Council, became available when Town were successful in their bid to host the two Rugby League World Cup 2013 games between Scotland and Tonga on Tuesday, October 29, and Scotland and Italy on Sunday, November 3.
“The aim of the capital project was to get a good 80 per cent of the work completed before the start of the season,” said project manager and Town director Tony Boyd.
“The remainder of the work is less intrusive and can be done during the season and in the seven-to-eight-week period between the end of the league season and the World Cup games.
“The amount of work done by John Stobart has been tremendous when you consider the weather we’ve had of late.”
Work has taken place in many areas, including the Popular Stand, the grandstand and enclosure and in the bars, and there have been improvements to turnstiles, access areas and car park, the pitch, floodlights, crowd safety barriers, and the broadcast and media support areas.
A new drugs-testing room has been created and there is a new electric scoreboard.
“All those areas are nearing the position we hoped to be in when the season started,” added Boyd.
“We’ve installed new drainage on the pitch and work is progressing well on the playing surface – but that will depend a lot on the weather.”
First published at 11:30, Wednesday, 23 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Championship table 2014
- 2014 results at-a-glance
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup 2009
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 results at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Stobart Group in new wood supply deal
- Warning over deflation harming Cumbrian economy
- Cumbrian firm Story completes £6.5m Hitachi contract
- Five-star rating for Cumbrian motorway services
- Chinese buyer close to takeover deal for Pirelli
- Customer satisfaction awards for Story Homes
- Carlisle factory owner on verge of takeover
- Cumbria Waste Group invests in new vehicles
- Printers H&H Reeds launch merchandising division
- Bus service for Cockermouth housing estate (1 comment)
- Elderly Cumbrian couple fleeced by bogus roofers
- Ice warning for Cumbria
- Foreign currency stolen from Cumbrian business
- Big-name shopping firms eyeing move into Carlisle
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Cumbrian care home still needs to improve say inspectors
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow