Workington Town sign Dave Armitstead
Last updated at 11:04, Thursday, 26 May 2011
Workington Town have won the race to sign former NL2 player of the year Dave Armitstead.
Australian second rower/loose forward Armitstead has agreed terms to take him to Derwent Park for the remainder of the season – despite interest from a host of other clubs.
And Town chairman Dave Bowden is delighted to welcome the 27-year-old former Barrow and Leigh star aboard.
“Dave has played at Championship level for much of his rugby career so he will be a great acquisition for us in this league,” said Bowden.
“We knew his style and he likes to play in the middle. His workrate is superb and he is a very clever player, good in support and in defence.
“He will also bring that bit of experience going into the second half of the season when it does get more hectic.”
Bowden said Armitstead’s signing proves how dedicated Town are to getting promotion out of Championship One this season.
“This will remind everyone how serious we are about this league this year and also that nobody can take their place for granted,” he added.
Armitstead, who won the NL2 player of the year award in the Raiders’ promotion season, went back to his native Australia after his stint with Leigh at the end of last season.
But, upon returning to England, he wanted to get back into the game and is classed as a non-quota player.
Bowden believes Town’s Barrow contingent could have played a key part in bringing Armitstead to Derwent Park.
“I think part of the attraction in coming here was that he would fit in quickly because he knows so many of our current squad and enjoyed playing with them at Barrow,” said Bowden.
“We have beaten off other clubs who were interested in him.”
First published at 15:36, Wednesday, 25 May 2011
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup 2009
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 results at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (40 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (36 comments)
- No easy route back to Carlisle for McDonald (13 comments)
- Call for statue to celebrate Carlisle's famous biscuit workers (19 comments)
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (101 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)
- Carlisle Utd sign deal with developer to plan new stadium (45 comments)