Workington Town’s star man ruled out of start of season
Last updated at 11:39, Tuesday, 08 January 2013
Workington Town star Elliott Miller has not recovered from shoulder surgery and will miss the start of the Championship season.
The 22-year-old flying winger, who was last season voted Young Championship One Player of the Year, and also picked up the News & Star Readers’ Player-of-the-Year and top try scorer awards at the club’s annual presentation night, admitted that he was “gutted.”
Said the Millom-based star: “I had a slap tear in my shoulder and I was hoping to be back for the start of the season.
“But that’s not going to happen. I can’t lift any real weight and I’m hoping that further physiotherapy will help. I’m targeting the Barrow game on March 3.
“My recovery was going well but I’ve had a bit of a setback.”
Miller, one of the best young Cumbrian prospects in the game, hasn’t played since a serious concussion picked up in the 26-2 league victory against Whitehaven at Derwent Park in early September, an incident that meant he just missed out of finishing top of the Championship One try-scoring charts with 24 tries.
And Town coach Gary Charlton said: “It’s been a long, drawn out matter and it’s taking longer than we thought. I think Elliott’s on the mend but the recovery has not gone as well as expected it’s all about his rehabilitation now.
“His health comes first and he won’t be playing until he’s 100 per cent fit.”
Town begin their preparation for the Championship season with a friendly at Widnes Vikings on Sunday (3pm ko).
Admission is £10 for adults, £8 for concessions and £5 for Under-16s. All proceeds from the attendance will go to Town.
First published at 11:30, Tuesday, 08 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup 2009
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 results at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (2 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (47 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (55 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (44 comments)
- No easy route back to Carlisle for McDonald (13 comments)
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (104 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)
- Carlisle Utd sign deal with developer to plan new stadium (45 comments)