Workington Town's Brett Phillips earns place in RL team of the month
Last updated at 13:10, Wednesday, 07 March 2012
Rookie Workington Town forward Brett Phillips has capped a storming start to his professional career by being named in the RL World team of the month for February.
Phillips, who signed for Town last September after some superb performances for Cumberland League outfit Seaton, has broken into the Championship One side. And he earned rave reviews in his three appearances in the Northern Rail Cup.
Coach Gary Charlton was delighted for Phillips, who he believes is going to be a great asset to the club.
“It is great news for Brett, we all knew he had a lot of potential but he has gone out there and played to such a high standard every time,” said Charlton. “I am really pleased for him that he has been put in this time. The transition from amateur to semi-professional rugby league is a big one but Brett has just stepped right up and glided through it, as have Daniel Rooney and Jonathan Dawes.
“Everyone at the club knew these lads had the ability, it was going out there and doing it.
“But they have reached such a high standard already, it is great to see.”
It is an even bigger honour for Phillips, as he was competing against players from both Championship divisions to earn the honour. There were only two players from Championship One clubs included, with Barrow’s Dan Toal accompanying Phillips.
Northern Rail Team of Month: Danny Ratcliffe (Hunslet), Paul White (Halifax), Matt Parata (Keighley), Tangi Ropati (Featherstone), Gareth Potts (Batley), Ben Black (Batley), Dominic Brambani (Sheffield), Jack Howieson (Sheffield), Anthony Nicholson (Leigh), Paul King (York), Dane Manning (Halifax), Brett Phillips (Workington), Dan Toal (Barrow).
First published at 11:31, Wednesday, 07 March 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup 2009
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 results at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Work starts to redevelop Carlisle Airport (35 comments)
- We can blow battle for Carlisle wide open, claim UKIP (42 comments)
- Planning go-ahead for Cumbria council's new £10m HQ (32 comments)
- I won't quit vows Cumbria council leader after parking charges climbdown (26 comments)
- New Cumbrian leisure centre delayed by finance query (15 comments)
- Debate over bonfire effigy failed to spoil Fireshow spectacular (87 comments)
- Thousands sign petition to oust hospital trust bosses (62 comments)
- On-street parking charges for Cumbria scrapped (89 comments)
- Bin spies in Carlisle branded a waste of money (30 comments)
- Cyclists opposing extended Carlisle city centre ban (62 comments)