Workington Town re-sign former England and Super League ace
Last updated at 11:36, Wednesday, 07 November 2012
Workington Town have further boosted their squad for the forthcoming Championship season by re-signing former England winger Mark Calderwood.
The former Leeds, Hull, Wigan and Harlequins Super League star, who scored 11 tries in nine appearances for England, joined Town midway through the summer and has penned a new one-year deal.
“We talked about a new deal towards the end of the season and I was always going to sign for Town,” Calderwood, 31, told News & Star Sport.
“I’d been out of the game for eight months when I signed and it took a little time to get back into it.
“I was disappointed with my performances last season and need to be more consistent. It was a bit of a learning curve having spent my career in Super League. But I am confident that, after a good pre-season, the Town fans are going to see a lot more of me next season.”
A veteran of 237 Super league games, in which he scored 129 tries, Calderwood’s signing, sees him as the fourth player in the Town camp to have top-flight experience alongside Ewan Dowes, Jamie Thackray and Peter Lupton.
And Town director Malcolm Allison, who conducted negotiations on the club’s behalf, said: “We’re delighted to have signed Mark. He has the experience that we will need in the Championship next year.
“I am sure that we are going to see the old Mark Calderwood after he gets a full pre-season with us. Mark is renowned for scoring tries and he will be more than a threat in the Championship next year.”
First published at 11:10, Wednesday, 07 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup 2009
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 results at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Two retail giants quitting Carlisle (36 comments)
- Fight to block £20 parking charge stepped up by campaigners (21 comments)
- Girl, 7, conned into sending nude photos to internet sex predator (11 comments)
- New headline act for Carlisle's Christmas festivities (14 comments)
- New report tells how Talkin Tarn could become self-financing (10 comments)
- Cost of on-street parking charges revealed by Cumbria council (105 comments)
- Cumbria council hires PR guru - at cost of £700 a day (83 comments)
- Anger over plan to charge £20 to park outside your home in Cumbria (69 comments)
- Carlisle's The Lanes shopping centre on verge of expansion (56 comments)
- New KFC restaurant will create up to 40 jobs in Cumbria (50 comments)