Workington Town full-back set to return for Barrow derby
Last updated at 12:41, Tuesday, 08 May 2012
In-form Workington Town full-back Brett Carter is set for a swift return to derby action against former club Barrow Raiders on Sunday after completing a one-match suspension.
Town hammered Gateshead Thunder 58-6 at the weekend without Carter, but he is still firmly in Workington’s plans for the eagerly-anticipated clash of two of the promotion favourites.
“He’s playing really well, and his return of the ball is excellent,” said coach Gary Charlton. “He wants to play in every game, and I’m sure he will come back and play well against Barrow.”
Carter was banned for a tackle on Chris Smith at the Recre last month, and the injured Haven hooker has missed his side’s last three games.
“We were a bit disappointed Brett got one game, as it was shoulder to shoulder,” Charlton added.
“Chris dropped down as Brett caught him. But Brett does need to sort his technique a wee bit, and he knows that.
“He drops his shoulder in to people and he’s very good at it. When it comes off it makes a great tackle, but when it doesn’t this type of thing can happen.
“Every time Brett plays he’s fully-committed. He’s one of our leading players and has come on leaps and bounds.”
Winger Elliott Miller filled in at the back for Carter against Gateshead, scoring two tries in the win, which saw Town retain second place in Championship One behind Doncaster.
Barrow overcame an early 10-0 deficit to triumph 42-24 against South Wales Scorpions at the Gnoll on Sunday. They lie level on points with Town after six matches, with an inferior points difference.
First published at 11:31, Tuesday, 08 May 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup 2009
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 results at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Carlisle venue defends promotion of top comic's show after low turn-out (29 comments)
- Story Homes pledges to fund village school if new Carlisle estate approved (15 comments)
- Carlisle GP backs calls to legalise hard drugs (10 comments)
- Warning as 1,800 council jobs hang in the balance (83 comments)
- Parks ban would make smokers outcasts in society, says senior Carlisle councillor (13 comments)