Clubs showing interest in Workington Town's Ryan MacDonald
Last updated at 12:06, Saturday, 20 October 2012
Ryan MacDonald looks set to extend his long career next term after earning rave reviews for Workington Town at 34.
The tough prop retired shortly before the end of the 2011 campaign only to return to Derwent Park this year, when he continued to impress, helping Town earn promotion to the Championship.
Many Town fans had expected him to hang up his boots but his fine form has put Championship One clubs on alert.
“Ryan’s had interest from a couple of clubs,” said Town boss Gary Charlton.
“If coaches want a big, strong fella coming off the bench and making an impact right away, he is your man. There is no one better at it. He is very destructive and powerful.”
MacDonald played Super League for Widnes Vikings at his peak, though he turns 35 in February and is not returning to Workington for their second tier campaign.
“If we had the Ryan MacDonald of four or five years he would be playing in the Championship next year,” Charlton added.
“But I would still have no hesitation in saying to Championship One clubs who want a good player that they will get plenty out of him.”
MacDonald missed out on a Grand Final appearance for Workington in 2011 after undergoing an operation to remove a metal plate from his arm.
“But following some impressive efforts for Glasson in the amateur ranks he re-signed for Town in January this year.
First published at 12:17, Saturday, 20 October 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup 2009
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 results at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)