Preparation for Barrow game not ideal says Workington Town coach
Last updated at 13:56, Tuesday, 15 May 2012
Gary Charlton revealed that Workington Town’s preparation for Sunday’s derby defeat against promotion rivals Barrow Raiders had not been ideal – due to their lack of match action.
The Town boss stressed he was not making excuses for the narrow 20-12 reverse at Craven Park – only Workington’s second league loss of the year – but pointed out his team’s game time had been limited over recent weeks.
Town’s early Challenge Cup exit in March meant they sat out two cup weekends last month and went in to their clash at Barrow on the back of only two games since winning at Whitehaven on Good Friday, April 6.
And both of those were comfortable home wins against North Wales Crusaders and Gateshead Thunder, sides in the bottom half of the table.
In the same period, the Raiders faced Oldham in the cup, Rochdale and South Wales.
“Two games in a month doesn’t make you battle-hardened to face a team like Barrow,” Charlton said. “We had two weeks off, and we’d rather have been playing week-in, week-out.
“When you come up against a capable team you need to be up and running.”
First published at 11:24, Tuesday, 15 May 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Championship table 2014
- 2014 results at-a-glance
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup 2009
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 results at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria council bosses wanted to 'kill' spin doctor story (10 comments)
- Woods used by 'unsavoury' men for sex chopped down (101 comments)
- Lumsdon: Carlisle Utd supporters' club is way forward (1 comment)
- Carlisle McVitie's staff reject changes to working conditions (76 comments)