Peter Lupton boost as Workington Town prepare for Sheffield
Last updated at 12:14, Tuesday, 19 February 2013
Workington Town have received a boost with the news that the injury to stand-off Peter Lupton is not as bad as first feared.
Former Super League star Lupton took a bang to the chest in the early stages of Town’s 26-4 defeat at Doncaster on Sunday and looked to have sustained a serious injury.
“Peter copped one in the chest early doors and we missed his qualities,” said Town’s joint coach Gary Charlton. “Saying that, James Coyle came on and did a good job for us. He’s been out of the game for 12 months and it will take him some time to settle again.”
It’s timely news for Town as they prepare to take on Sheffield Eagles at Derwent Park on Sunday (ko 3pm).
The Eagles put 50 points on Swinton Lions on Sunday, a team Workington beat in their opening fixture. And Charlton knows that Town are going to have to be at their best.
Super League outfit Widnes Vikings haven’t got a game this weekend but Charlton will not be looking to bring in more dual-registered players than he has in the last few games.
He added: “We won’t be looking to make more of the dual-registration facility. We’ve had one bad game. Doncaster were good value for their win and we didn’t turn up. Paul Cooke had an excellent kicking game and that led to tries being scored.
“We are not going to hit the panic button after one bad game. It’s very early in the season and we have a very good squad at Town.
“We have to put our hands up and admit that we didn’t play well at Doncaster. But the two games before that (victory at Swinton and a bonus point at home to fancied Halifax) showed just what we are capable of.”
First published at 12:03, Tuesday, 19 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup 2009
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 results at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Work starts to redevelop Carlisle Airport (35 comments)
- Planning go-ahead for Cumbria council's new £10m HQ (32 comments)
- I won't quit vows Cumbria council leader after parking charges climbdown (26 comments)
- We can blow battle for Carlisle wide open, claim UKIP (42 comments)
- New Cumbrian leisure centre delayed by finance query (15 comments)
- Debate over bonfire effigy failed to spoil Fireshow spectacular (87 comments)
- Thousands sign petition to oust hospital trust bosses (62 comments)
- On-street parking charges for Cumbria scrapped (89 comments)
- Bin spies in Carlisle branded a waste of money (30 comments)
- Cyclists opposing extended Carlisle city centre ban (62 comments)