Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Thursday, 17 April 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Workington Town outclassed by in-form Oldham

Workington Town 6 Oldham 60: Workington Town could be given 10/10 for effort and commitment but in the end they were completely outclassed by an in-form Oldham side that look capable of competing at a higher level.

Workington Town action photo
Jason Mossop

With a number of new faces lining up for Town, it may take another couple of weeks for them to gel but early signs looked good for the new half-back pairing of Chris Frodsham and Rob Lunt as they tried their best to organise the side.

Craig Farrimond and Jarrad Stack drove forward well while full-back Brett Carter showed a great turn of pace coming away from his own line. Hooker Darren King also did well, playing at a high intensity for 80 minutes.

But Oldham, even though they were down to 11 men for part of the game, proved too strong across the park, with half-backs Neil Roden and James Coyle combining well to cause problems. And strong running second rowers Dave Allen and Tommy Goulden punched holes in the defence, along with sub Thomas Coyle.

Oldham showed their credentials in the opening minute as the ball was swung from left to right before Dave Allen found the gap in the centre of the park to touch down, with Danny Halliwell converting.

Town hit back and went close on a couple of occasions, new signing Frodsham held just short by a scrum of Oldham defenders but they looked promising, trying different options.

However, on 10 minutes Oldham had made it 12-0, loose forward Chris Baines releasing a final ball to full-back Paul O’Connor and he waltzed through to score, Halliwell again adding the extras.

Then, in a melee in the middle of the park, Halliwell received his marching orders from ref Craig Halloran after a bust up. Halliwell was shown the red card for punching while Town’s Peter Dobson was given 10 minutes in the sin-bin for his part.

Oldham did not take a backward step and a good move, starting with a Marcus St Hilaire basketball pass out of the tackle, went through the hands of Lee Greenwood and Thomas Coyle before O’Connor finished off for his second, with James Coyle converting for 18-0.

The visitors were then reduced to 11 men when sub Phil Joseph was sent to cool his heels for 10 minutes following a high tackle on James Robinson.

But even with two men down, they still looked dangerous and so they proved to be as O’Connor made it a hat-trick on 31 minutes but the conversion was missed.

Goulden then got himself on the scoresheet as he burst over the line with Coyle converting and at 28-0 the game was slipping away from the hosts.

However, the players had not given up and their perseverance finally paid off in the final minute of the half as Andrew Beattie and Martyn Wilson broke away down the right hand flank. A loose pass was then collected by Stack who raced to the try line before popping a pas out to Jason Mossop, who collected the try.

Rob Lunt marked his return to the Town ranks with a conversion and they finally had points on the board at 28-6.

In the opening minutes of the second half Goulden nearly got his second but he dropped the ball over the line thanks to some good Town pressure.

Robert Scott looked to be in the clear soon after but play was pulled back for a penalty to the home side, much to their dismay. Then the young winger nearly got to a good kick through but the ball just evaded him.

Oldham then picked up another gear and ran in five tries in a six minute spell, two converted by Coyle. First James Coyle slipped out of a Carter tackle to touch down, then Goulden bagged his second of the afternoon before St Hilaire also got on the scoresheet and Oldham were 44-6 ahead and the contest was well out of Town’s reach.

Gary Sykes went over the top of the Town defence to score and Coyle’s conversion racked up the 50-point mark for Oldham and then came probably the try of the game. Roden kicked on the first tackle and in a foot race the length of the field, Lucas Onyango was the first to reach the ball and step over the try line, with Carter hanging on his heels, just unable to stop the powerful winger.

Then Sykes rounded off the scoring with his second and Oldham’s last try, converted by Phil Joseph for 60-6.

Carter showed his pace just as the final whistle sounded as he raced up the touchline but was just stopped after 50 yards but proved that the desire was still there for a Town side, despite being heavily beaten by one of the classier teams in this division.

Town: Brett Carter; Robert Scott, Andrew Beattie, Jason Mossop, Martyn Wilson, Robert Lunt, Chris Frodsham, Jarrad Stack, Darren King, Kris Coward, Mike Whitehead, Paddy Coupar, Craig Farrimond. Subs (all used): Ashley McDonald, James Robinson, Harry Kaufman, Peter Dobson.

Tries: Mossop (39);  Goals: Lunt 1/1

Oldham: Paul O’Connor, Lucas Onyango, Danny Halliwell, Marcus St Hilaire, Lee Greenwood, Neil Roden, James Coyle, Jason Boults, Gary Sykes, Craig Robinson, Dave Allen, Tommy Goulden, Chris Baines. Subs (all used): Jamie I’Anson, Wayne Kerr, Phil Joseph, Thomas Coyle.

Tries: Allen (1), O’Connor (10, 26, 31), Goulden (37, 54), J Coyle (51), St Hilaire (56), Sykes (68, 75), Onyango (74); Goals: Halliwell 2/2, J Coyle 5/8, Joseph 1/1

Red card: (20) Danny Halliwell - punching

Referee: Craig Halloran

Attendance: 514

Star Man: Craig Farrimond



Are we neglecting north Cumbria's heritage and tourist attractions while concentrating on the Lake District?

Yes, the Lakes have always taken all the investment

No, nothing in the north can compare with anything the Lake District

Nothing will change now. We are Cumbria's forgotten corner

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for: