James Coyle to make first start for Workington Town
Last updated at 12:00, Saturday, 23 February 2013
Playmaker James Coyle will make his first start for Workington Town against champions Sheffield Eagles tomorrow – and is being tipped to be the club’s new midfield general.
The former Wigan, Barrow and Widnes half-back took a season out of the game in 2012, while he launched his own business. So Town have eased him back in to action with three outings off the bench. But coach Gary Charlton believes he is now ready to show what he can produce from the first whistle.
“His fitness has picked up and we want to see him for the full 80 minutes,” Charlton said. “He’s a very good talker and directs the team around the field. We will see what he’s got to offer tomorrow.
“He wants to take control, and that’s what we are looking for. That is his main asset.”
Centre Jason Mossop trained well on Thursday night and returns to action against his old club after recovering from ankle ligament damage.
“He tightens the back line and it’s good to have him back. Jason is keen to play,” the coach added. “Sheffield must have something about them because there are some good teams in this division, and they won it last year.”
Eagles boss Mark Aston reckons his side’s extra pace could prove decisive at Derwent Park (3pm), but Charlton believes Sheffield will try to win the game in the forwards.
He said: “We believe Sheffield will come at us down the middle and try to play off the back of that. They will be quick, but it’s all about how we defend.
“They will work over those players of ours they think can do damage, and it’s up to us to combat that. Sheffield have good forwards and fast backs, but Workington isn’t the biggest of pitches for teams to get around you.”
Town’s clash with Whitehaven on Good Friday will now kick off at 1pm, not 5.15pm as published by Premier Sports. The game will no longer be televised.
First published at 11:41, Saturday, 23 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup 2009
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 results at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Staff devastated after fire destroys part of Cumbrian hospital (1 comment)
- Police warning of fishmonger scam
- Mercy plea from army bosses saves Carlisle soldier from prison
- Carlisle Utd on the brink of 'exciting' new investment (22 comments)
- Cumbrian woman banned from 45 shops after stealing £1 milkshake
- Fans petition Carlisle Utd owners to sell club (109 comments)
- Dog fouling crackdown gets under way in Carlisle (72 comments)
- MD Nixon: Last week was my blackest time at Carlisle Utd (45 comments)
- Labour’s all-female shortlist for Workington is boost for women - claim (42 comments)
- Grieving man’s call to ban dogs from Carlisle Cemetery (47 comments)