Ex-Workington Town player named Wigan Warriors coach
Published at 14:05, Wednesday, 12 October 2011
Former Workington Town player Shaun Wane has been unveiled as the new Wigan Warriors coach.
Wane, who has been hotly tipped to succeed Michael Maguire for some time, was confirmed as the new occupant of the hot seat yesterday.
The former GB forward, who was at Derwent Park for Town’s promotion season in 1993/94, before falling victim to a knee injury, has signed a two-year contract, with an option for a third season.
Wane had been a full-time assistant to Maguire, who has returned to Australia after two successful years in charge of the Warriors to become head coach of South Sydney.
“It means everything to be honest, I’ve dreamt about getting this role, I’ve been involved here for over 20 years and I’ve watched Wigan since I was six years old,” Wane told Sky Sports News.
“It’s a great moment for me and my family and I’m going to make sure I give it my all. I’m looking forward to meeting with the players for pre-season in a few weeks’ time.”
Iestyn Harris has been appointed Wane’s assistant.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup 2009
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 results at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)