Stephen Dawes agrees Workington Town return
Last updated at 12:55, Wednesday, 08 December 2010
Winger Stephen Dawes has vowed to find his way to the try line for Workington Town in 2011 after agreeing a deal to return to his former club.
Dawes will be fighting for his place in the club’s starting line-up next season after putting pen to paper on a new contract, after putting in some starring performances for Cumberland League side Seaton over the past few months.
And club chairman Dave Bowden believes he will be an asset to their Championship One campaign.
“Stephen is a winger first and foremost but he can play in the centre and he knows where the try line is,” said Bowden.
“He is always a danger near the line, with a good turn of pace. His time at Seaton has done him the world of good and he has recaptured his appetite for the game, he certainly stood out for them.
“When Stephen gets near the try line he is a strong balanced runner but he is also good in defence and also under a high ball.
“When he is on song he will take some catching and from speaking to him, he is very determined to show how he can play.
“He feels he has wasted the last 12 months in terms of his rugby career, it stalled a little but now he is prepared to show what he can do and in that frame of mind he will be a great acquisition.
“Now he will fight for his position, as he is one of a number of talented backs.”
Dawes spent five years at Derwent Park before leaving due to work commitments which took him away from the area.
When he returned he had a brief spell at Barrow before joining Haven on a one-year deal last season.
But he then went back to the amateur game with Seaton before returning to Derwent Park.
First published at 11:38, Wednesday, 08 December 2010
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup 2009
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 results at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Work starts to redevelop Carlisle Airport (35 comments)
- Planning go-ahead for Cumbria council's new £10m HQ (32 comments)
- I won't quit vows Cumbria council leader after parking charges climbdown (26 comments)
- We can blow battle for Carlisle wide open, claim UKIP (42 comments)
- New Cumbrian leisure centre delayed by finance query (15 comments)
- Debate over bonfire effigy failed to spoil Fireshow spectacular (87 comments)
- Thousands sign petition to oust hospital trust bosses (62 comments)
- On-street parking charges for Cumbria scrapped (89 comments)
- Bin spies in Carlisle branded a waste of money (30 comments)
- Cyclists opposing extended Carlisle city centre ban (62 comments)