Chairman's praise for beaten Workington Town players
Last updated at 11:58, Monday, 05 March 2012
Workington Town chairman Dave Bowden praised his side for their effort, despite getting beaten at the hands of Swinton Lions yesterday.
Town went down 30-12 in the final group game of the Northern Rail Cup but Bowden said an improved second-half performance will stand them in good stead for the start of the league season on Sunday.
“In the first half we had to play a few lads out of their normal positions and that showed a little,” said Bowden.
“But it was a good effort from our players and we had a great second half. We got organised and looked after the ball which made us much better, so we had to be pleased with that effort.
“I think that effort has under-pinned a lot of our games this season which will be important as we start to get into the league clashes.
“The focus will be cranked up now, along with concentration levels.”
Bowden had praise for new boy Jamie Thackray, who has impressed in his last two outings. “He was outstanding yesterday. Swinton were a good side and certainly more experienced than us on paper but he really fronted up for us,” Bowden added. “He really showed what he is about.”
Town now will prepare for the opening league clash at home to Oldham on Sunday, ko 3pm.
Bowden said: “We will probably train three times this week and the effort and concentration will increase even further.
“On Sunday, again, we finished strongly which is a positive and I think Matthew Johnson has done a great job on their fitness levels.
“Yesterday’s game was useful for us, they are a side preparing for Championship rugby so we can take away a lot from our second half performance and look ahead to this weekend.”
First published at 11:27, Monday, 05 March 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup 2009
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 results at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Two retail giants quitting Carlisle (19 comments)
- Carlisle star Matt Pagan gutted as Collabro Xmas lights switch-on called off (32 comments)
- Girl, 7, conned into sending nude photos to internet sex predator
- Endangered species warning at Cumbria milk price crisis talks (1 comment)
- Two weeks to act over Cumbrian parking permits charge (2 comments)
- Cost of on-street parking charges revealed by Cumbria council (101 comments)
- Cumbria council hires PR guru - at cost of £700 a day (74 comments)
- Anger over plan to charge £20 to park outside your home in Cumbria (63 comments)
- New KFC restaurant will create up to 40 jobs in Cumbria (49 comments)
- Carlisle's The Lanes shopping centre on verge of expansion (52 comments)