Saturday, 28 November 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Struggling Netherhall withdraw from the league

Netherhall have pulled out of the Cumbria League with immediate effect.

The Maryport club has been struggling all season to put out a team on a regular basis and have now reluctantly taken the decision to withdraw from the league.

Originally playing in Maryport as Ellenfoot the club established a regular place at Netherhall School in 1960 and took on the new title of Netherhall Old Boys.

That stayed until 1982, following the development of their present ground and clubhouse, and the just dropped the Old Boys.

Jim Edmondson has been a club stalwart since 1961 and he said: “I think we have to take inspiration from the likes of Silloth and Moresby who dropped out of competitive rugby and have come back stronger for it.

“We do intend to play friendlies if possible and already have games re-arranged for the rest of the month and into early February.

“It has been very difficult trying to put out a team week-to-week. Yet it?s only 1997 when we had five senior teams at the club.

“On a positive note we have two youth teams, Under-13?s and Under-14?s with two top coaches in Neil Carruthers and Mike Scott. Naturally we want to build on these and bring them through as senior Netherhall players.”

Netherhall’s record has now been expunged from the League table.

Silloth went into Saturday’s game looking to consolidate second place but in an unlikely twist they lost 20-19 at home to Furness and slipped to fourth.

With Netherhall’s withdrawal Silloth are now four points adrift of a play-off place with four games to play while rivals Furness and Windermere have two games left and play each other.

Silloth started the game on top and took an early lead through Liam Riley, with Phil Scott adding the extras.

Furness were creating chances but Silloth’s defence was solid until talented Rhys Studt broke the home defence before stepping inside Scott to score under the posts.

Silloth were soon back in front when winger Ricky Sutcliffe raced over in the corner.

Well on top they inevitably extended their lead through lock Lee Tinkler and Scott added the extras.

Silloth were now in full control and looked odds on for a bonus point victory when the game took a dramatic turn. Jonathon Burnyeat was shown a straight red card for a high tackle and Furness kicked the subsequent penalty.

With the extra man Furness lifted their game and in the second-half full tested the Silloth defence which is the second best in the competition.

But they suffered another blow when young prop Joe Smith left the field with what turned out to be a broken arm and their discipline was starting to let them down.

Eventually, after 70 minutes Furness scored a converted try to pull it back to 19-17.

Then with seven minutes left they landed a penalty to take the lead for the first time in the game. Despite frantic efforts by Silloth in the closing stages they just couldn’t get over the Furness line.

A youthful Penrith second team showed great spirit and determination to overcome a powerful Millom team 13-8.

Penrith’s early try came from centre Aaron Pamphilon converted by Under-18 player Ryan Martin who also added a couple of penalties for a half time lead of 13-3.

Millom dominated the second half and scored a catch and drive try from hooker Dean Doyle but could not break through the home defence who included eight players under the age of 19.

Cumbria Under-20’s scrum-half Mark Robson had a fine all-round game for the Winters Park team behind a dominant scrum and line out.

Other scores: Kendal 2nds 10, Hawcoat Park 26; Windermere 74, Kirkby Lonsdale 2nds 10.

Creighton lost their first game in Cumbria 2 South East when they were beaten 21-13 at Hawcoat Park seconds.

It was only their third win in 13 matches but Hawcoat were stronger than in any other game while Creighton were not at full strength.

They started well enough with a try by Dan Dudley after a quickly taken tap penalty and they doubled the advantage with a well-worked try for James Shanks.

Hawcoat came back into the contest and by half-time had reduced the arrears with two penalties.

A converted try and penalty soon after the restart put the home side ahead and although Mark Sykes put over a penalty for Creighton it was Hawcoat who had the final word with an unconverted try.

Other results: Raging Bull Cumbria 2 SE: Carlisle Hornets 17, Upper Eden Boars 12; Millom 2nds 14, Penrith Vagabonds 43.

Raging Bull Cumbria 2 NW: Cockermouth 21, Aspatria Eagles 12; Moresby 35, Wigton Wanderers 7

Have your say

Be the first to comment on this article!

Make your comment

Your name

Your Email

Your Town/City

Your comment



Has the bubble burst on Black Friday?

Yes. You can get bargains every day for weeks now

No way! I bagged a load of bargains

After the manic scenes of last year it was always going to settle down

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for: