Seeds keeps eye on weather ahead of Whitehaven's planned friendly at Barrow
Last updated at 11:33, Friday, 18 January 2013
Whitehaven coach David Seeds is hoping the icy blast forecast to hit England this weekend by-passes Barrow.
The Raiders are due to host Haven in the Recre outfit’s second pre-season friendly on Sunday (2pm) after Seeds saw his side beat visitors Gateshead 18-0 last weekend.
But temperatures across the county are starting to plummet, and his plan to use the Recre pitch for training on Wednesday had to be dropped as the surface was frozen.
“You always like to get on the pitch, it’s better at this time of year, especially leading up to games,” he said. “But we had to use different methods.”
The squad had a gym session and looked at highlights of the Gateshead game.
“The lads were reasonably happy with that performance but have identified room for improvement,” he added.
“We have no real injuries and all 23 of them want as much game time as possible. They are raring to go, and are fit and healthy.
“They understand Barrow is the next step up, and our intensity levels have to be better than last Sunday. In each game now we are facing better opposition, and we have to be more intense. It was nice and controlled against Gateshead, but now we have to do it faster and better, especially in defence.”
Boss Dave Woods will be back this weekend after a family break at home in Australia.
First published at 11:28, Friday, 18 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Carlisle man jailed for pestering probation office worker
- Ann cruises off to new life after 20 years at the helm
- MP stands by his BAE Systems Barrow ‘Bahamas’ jibe (38 comments)
- Handy contacts in the travel industry
- Young dancers prepare to entertain with their magical Christmas show
- LAP-DANCING AT TOWN NIGHTCLUB
- CID boss had spell in Northern Ireland
- Four months for Barrow 999 phone pest
- Sellafield profits up – and so are directors’ pay packages (18 comments)
- Ryan mighty