Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Saturday, 19 April 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Maryport edge out Glasson in tight derby match

Maryport just came out on top in the town derby, edging their clash with Glasson in Cumberland ARL Division One by 16-14.

Gary Murdock’s team led 10-6 at the break and although Glasson shaded the second-half they couldn’t gain parity.

It finished three tries apiece but Ellenboro9gh’s two goals, one each from Mark Walker and Grant Bethwaite made the difference. Lee Taylor managed only one for Glasson.

The Glasson tries came from Dean Petrie (2) and Matt Johnston with Mark Foster, Liam Vickers and Sam Forrester scoring for Maryport.

Kells’ game with Seaton Rangers A was postponed until June 6 so Distington took advantage, beating Cockermouth 40-20 to go level on points at the top of the League.

At half-time Ged Stokes’ men were in the lead at 14-6 but it was Distington who finished the game much stronger and ran out comfortable winners.

The Titans scored tries through Liam Wild, Mark Watson, Matty Henson and Liam Stevens with two conversions from Matty Henson and Sean Mumberson.

The Distington tries came from Scott George (2), Aidan Worthington, Troy Armstrong, Gavin Martin, Luke Penrice and Grant Dryden. There were six conversions from Scott George.

Seaton Rangers stay third in the table after their 16-6 home win over Wath Brow.

Two-try Tom Curwen was man of the match as Seaton just held a 10-6 lead at half-time. Tom McGeen scored their third try and Miguel Blanco-Charters chipped-in with two goals. Wath Brow were in contention for a long while and Jamie Sharp scored their points with a try and a goal. The Broughton Red Rose v Hensingham game was also put back until June 6.

Only two games were played in Division Two. Egremont were unable to raise sufficient players for their game at Aspatria while Salterbeck against Flimby is to be re-arranged.

The match between Ellenborough Rangers and Kells A was postponed until June 6.

In the two games that were played a total of 152 points were scored with Lowca leading the way.

They went on the rampage against Glasson A after trailing 24-14 at the break. Incredibly they finished-up winning 66-28 with a total of 12 tries.

Scott Rooke led the charge with a hat-trick of tries and nine goals. John Sparks also crossed twice and there were further tries from Dean Haigh, Gary Haile, Liam Campbell, Graham Lowery, Mark Johnston , Keith Campbell and John Thineson.

The Glasson try scorers were Jordan Kerr , Barry Goodfellow , Kieron Hughes , Kieron Winter and Darren Fryer. Grant Law kicked three goals and Goodfellow put over two. Frizington had responded well to the call for more players but they came unstuck against Great Clifton, going down at home to the Lions by 48-10.

Clifton went top of the table with nine tries from Brian Park (2), Mark Fox (2), Dan Riddick , Rob Nicholson , Anthony Hay , Luke Naylor and Martin Wilson. Mike Hill kicked six goals.

For Frizington Alex Wilson and Adam McGrady scored a try each and Dean Armstrong a goal.



Easter - and your favourite treats will be...?

Chocolate eggs

Hot cross buns

Long walks

Time off work

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for: