Workington Reds star Stuart Green is new Whitehaven Amateurs boss
Last updated at 11:42, Friday, 29 June 2012
Workington Reds ace Stuart Green has switched to the dugout as new manager of ambitious Whitehaven Amateurs.
The ex-Carlisle United, Newcastle United, Crystal Palace and Hull City midfielder, who signed a two-year deal with Reds last year after his release from League Two Wycombe Wanderers, hails from Whitehaven.
And he played for Marchon, the forerunner to Amateurs, as a junior before launching his pro career.
“We are delighted to get someone of that calibre, with his knowledge of football. He will bring a lot to the club and move us forward,” said club spokesman Bill Robson.
“He had 17 years in professional football, from the age of 12, and worked under Peter Taylor, Ruud Gullit and Bobby Robson.
“Only Scott Carson from this area will have played at a higher level over the last few years. He loves the game and I’m quite excited about him.
“There’s a buzz about him coming here and we’ll see how it goes. We can start moving forward and I’m quite looking forward to the start of the season.
“We are determined to achieve the highest level possible.
“Reds have been quite open and honest and we can only thank them for that.
“We will work with him, and hopefully the lads will understand how he puts his game over. He’s an explainer not a shouter.
“Some of the players he has approached and who have said they will come down, will strengthen us.”
Northern League Amateurs had been looking for a new manager since ex-Reds striker Martin Harris stepped down at the end of last season. Harris first managed Amateurs in the late 1990s and returned in May 2009, to replace John George, who quit for family reasons.
Green, whose opening season at Borough Park was dogged by injury, will open his managerial account on August 14 in the Shaun Hocking Memorial tournament – against Reds.
First published at 11:30, Friday, 29 June 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- Conference North 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- Blue Square North 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- Blue Square North 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- Blue Square North 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- Blue Square North 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- Blue Square North 2008-09
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- A595 is Cumbria's most dangerous road, police figures show (29 comments)
- Government backs plan to divert traffic away from Warwick Bridge (26 comments)
- Carlisle's city centre BHS store to close (37 comments)
- Improving A66 and A69 road 'very tricky and complex' says highways boss (48 comments)
- Cash secured for £33m schools and sports campus (3 comments)