Workington Reds motoring towards play-offs
Last updated at 11:40, Saturday, 29 December 2012
Workington Reds can push for the play-offs, insists midfielder Mark Boyd.
Reds are just five points off the Gainsborough Trinity in the final play-off spot, and have two games in hand on their rivals.
Today, Workington travel to Vauxhall Motors, with Harrogate visiting west Cumbria on New Year’s Day.
Reds have no worries about travelling as they haven’t lost to Vauxhall in four years, and are currently five games unbeaten on the road.
Since that 3-0 defeat to Motors in 2008, Workington have come out on top in seven of eight clashes, including the last five.
Boyd said Reds must maintain their decent form if they are to push on for the league’s top spots.
He said: “We will definitely be there or thereabouts.
“There aren’t many teams in this league that are better than us.
“We need to put a run together, and keep playing the way we have been.
“We got spanked off Bradford, but that was a freak result.
“We are better than that and proved how good we can be in other games.
“But if we are going to push on and try make the play-offs then we need to go to Vauxhall and win.
“They are a team we have done well against recently, but that counts for nothing after that first whistle blows. The play-offs has to be the ultimate target, but it’ll be tough, we know that. But this team are not quitters.
“We will continue to fight for every point.”
Boss Darren Edmondson praised the work of Motors boss Carl Macauley, and said: “Carl has done a fantastic job.
“With the budget he’s working with, he deserves a lot more recognition than he’s had.
“He’s got a shoestring to work with, and is not only keeping Vauxhall above the relegation zone, but well clear.”
Vauxhall have lost three of their last five home games, while Harrogate also have a patchy record.
Simon Weaver’s men have just one win in five away matches.
Reds have rearranged two postponed fixtures with league leaders Chester visiting Borough Park on February 19, and Brackley making the trip from Northamptonshire on March 12.
First published at 11:26, Saturday, 29 December 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- Conference North 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- Blue Square North 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- Blue Square North 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- Blue Square North 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- Blue Square North 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- Blue Square North 2008-09
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Dogs banned from some parks and spaces in Cumbria (48 comments)
- State-of-the-art buses in Carlisle blasted by passengers (22 comments)
- Soaring temperatures before thunder and rain hit Cumbria (9 comments)
- New £1.9m plan to reduce traffic on west Cumbria's roads (7 comments)
- Sorry, Carlisle United - but Knighton was right (2 comments)