Workington Reds' hopes of keeping loan star fade
Last updated at 11:59, Saturday, 10 November 2012
Workington Reds’ hopes of keeping defender James Bolton past his current loan deal have faded.
But boss Darren Edmondson has not given up securing Will Vaulks’ services until the end of the season.
Bolton has starred since joining from Macclesfield in August, but cannot sign another deal at Borough Park.
The 18-year-old has won rave reviews for his composed performances alongside Kyle May, but will leave the club when his 93-day stint ends on November 24.
Comfortable in possession, and solid in the tackle, the young centre half has a big future in the game, according to Edmondson, who was blocked from extending Bolton’s deal further.
Bolton can play in the FA Trophy first round if Workington progress past this afternoon’s third qualifying round match with Ossett Town.
Edmondson said: “It’s disappointing, because James has been a great player for us.
“He’s attracting interest from some big clubs, but he’s enjoying his football with us, and I hoped he would be able to stay.”
But the 41-year-old, who takes charge of his 48th cup tie as manager of Workington today, is more confident of keeping Vaulks.
“There is still work to be done, but we’re speaking with Tranmere,” he said.
Workington take on non-league minnows Ossett Town in the final qualifying round of the FA Trophy. Reds travel to Stade France for the clash, with £4,000 on offer to the winner.
Mark Boyd is pushing for a start after overcoming a calf injury. Edmondson said: “We are not taking Ossett for granted. We have to make sure we stay focused, and committed to getting into the first round.
“It’s a good draw for us. Ossett have had problems recently. They have struggled for form, and we are on a good run.”
First published at 10:33, Saturday, 10 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- Conference North 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- Blue Square North 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- Blue Square North 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- Blue Square North 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- Blue Square North 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- Blue Square North 2008-09
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Work starts to redevelop Carlisle Airport (35 comments)
- Planning go-ahead for Cumbria council's new £10m HQ (32 comments)
- I won't quit vows Cumbria council leader after parking charges climbdown (26 comments)
- We can blow battle for Carlisle wide open, claim UKIP (42 comments)
- New Cumbrian leisure centre delayed by finance query (15 comments)
- Debate over bonfire effigy failed to spoil Fireshow spectacular (87 comments)
- Thousands sign petition to oust hospital trust bosses (62 comments)
- On-street parking charges for Cumbria scrapped (89 comments)
- Bin spies in Carlisle branded a waste of money (30 comments)
- Cyclists opposing extended Carlisle city centre ban (62 comments)