Workington Reds docked four points for fielding ineligible player
Last updated at 11:56, Tuesday, 29 January 2013
Workington Reds have been hit with a four point deduction for fielding an ineligible player.
Will Vaulks played against Altrincham and Gainsborough in October, but documents to extend his loan from Tranmere Rovers were not completed.
Reds have also been fined £500. Borough Park officials blamed the mix-up on their League One counterparts.
The deduction will see Workington drop two places to 17th in the Blue Square Bet North – just four points above the relegation zone.
Despite appealing the FA’s ruling, the sport’s governing body upheld its decision. Reds blamed Tranmere for forgetting to send the necessary paperwork to the Conference.
In a statement, they said: “It is with much regret that we have been deducted four points and fined £500 for playing an ineligible player (Will Vaulks) against Altrincham and Gainsborough.
“This came about due to Tranmere Rovers forgetting to send the necessary paperwork to the Conference in time on our behalf.
“Despite the FA receiving, and acknowledging, his registration, the Conference argued the club had failed to notify them.
“We feel strongly that in the circumstances, the penalty was severe, and the fine harsh.
“Despite travelling down to Wembley, at considerable expense, the FA upheld its original decision.”
Workington can work to pull away from the relegation zone if tonight’s match with Gainsborough goes ahead.
With heavy rain falling yesterday, and more planned today, the match is in doubt.
Officials will inspect the pitch this morning, before making a decision.
If the match does go ahead, Workington will be without striker Jonny Wright, who is away.
Play-off chasing Gainsborough are fourth, with three wins in their last six away games.
First published at 11:55, Tuesday, 29 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- Conference North 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- Blue Square North 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- Blue Square North 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- Blue Square North 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- Blue Square North 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- Blue Square North 2008-09
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- A595 is Cumbria's most dangerous road, police figures show (29 comments)
- Government backs plan to divert traffic away from Warwick Bridge (26 comments)
- Carlisle's city centre BHS store to close (37 comments)
- Improving A66 and A69 road 'very tricky and complex' says highways boss (48 comments)
- Cash secured for £33m schools and sports campus (3 comments)