Workington Reds boss: We must find consistency in 2012
Last updated at 10:42, Tuesday, 27 December 2011
Finding consistency must be Workington Reds’ New Year resolution, says manager Darren Edmondson.
After watching his side collect back-to-back wins for the first time this season, and register a home clean sheet at home, Edmondson admitted he had been studying the stats.
“It was something that Tony (Elliott) and myself had been looking at and a sequence of wins, as well as clean sheets at home were conspicuous by their absence.
“That is something we want to put right in the New Year. Our performances have generally been good in recent weeks without being able to record the victories we deserved.
“I have always said we are in a false position but it is about being consistent, week to week, and I hope we are trying to show some of that.
“Mind you I talk to Blue Square managers on a regular basis and most of them say the same thing. It is something that must be fairly common in non-League circles,” he said.
Edmondson had been happy with his side’s performance in a 2-0 home win on Boxing Day over Blyth Spartans – which followed the 3-0 win at Eastwood Town. They go to Blyth next Monday for the return.
Second half goals from Gareth Arnison and Phil McLuckie, after David McNiven had seen one chalked off for offside, continued Workington’s mini-revival.
“I think it showed the character in the side that we didn’t let the disappointment of having a goal chalked-off, affect us. To come back after that and score twice was good and I thought we were more comfortable than 2-0 might suggest in the end,” said Edmondson.
Initially referee Anthony Backhouse had allowed McNiven’s 49th minute strike and the Workington players had celebrated before taking up their positions ready for the centre-circle re-start.
Several Blyth players were also trudging back but a few had gone over to the assistant referee, calling Backhouse into the conversation.
“The referee changed his decision. I think the linesman thought Phil McLuckie’s cross had gone straight in but the referee knew David had got the final touch and he was eventually ruled offside,” said Edmondson.
There was a bonus for the Workington manager that he was able to include defender Dan Wordsworth on the bench. He has been ruled-out with injury from very early in the season.
Both Jonny Wright and Stuart Green were able to do light training last week and both could be ready to return in a fortnight.
First published at 08:05, Tuesday, 27 December 2011
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- League and cup results 2013-14
- Conference North 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- Blue Square North 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- Blue Square North 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- Blue Square North 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- Blue Square North 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- Blue Square North 2008-09
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- A595 is Cumbria's most dangerous road, police figures show (29 comments)
- Government backs plan to divert traffic away from Warwick Bridge (26 comments)
- Carlisle's city centre BHS store to close (37 comments)
- Improving A66 and A69 road 'very tricky and complex' says highways boss (48 comments)
- Cash secured for £33m schools and sports campus (3 comments)