Workington Reds boss warns of Blyth threat
Last updated at 12:23, Thursday, 30 December 2010
Workington Reds boss Darren Edmondson says his players must be at their best to beat Blyth.
The warning comes ahead of this Saturday’s Blue Square North clash at Borough Park (3pm ko).
Blyth sit sixth in the Blue Sq Bet North table, just one point above their west Cumbrian hosts and Edmondson predicts a tough battle for the spoils.
He said: “Blyth have put together a good side that are picking up results. They are definitely a side on the up and we will have to work hard to combat their confidence.
“Blyth have good movement up front and their strikers have impressed me this season. We won’t be taking them lightly and will be giving our all to back up the win against Stafford.”
Edmondson said there has been no rest for his stars over the festive period and insists this will stand them in good stead for the double header, which also sees Reds travel to Vauxhall on Monday.
He said: “I haven’t been very well and had to miss training in a bid to beat this bug but the lads have been working hard with Viv (Busby).
“They all know how important it is to stay fit because as soon as this bad weather goes they will have to go at it hard.
“We will have a fixture back-log to contend with so they need to be as fit as they can be to stand us in good stead.”
The 39-year-old boss has continued to make calls to try and bolster his squad but with no luck.
He said: “It’s frustrating because we need to make our squad as strong as possible but then so do other teams.
“We’re fighting hard but right now I have no positive news.
“The players I’ve made calls about have played at a good level. Right now some of them are coming back to fitness, while others are too expensive.
“I have know a lot of people in football and they are trying to help me out. I’ve spoken with Mick Waddsworth at Hartlepool and there could be some movement on that front in the new year.
“The board realise how important it is to strengthen if we are to push for the play-offs and are doing their bit to find the cash.”
First published at 09:22, Thursday, 30 December 2010
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- Conference North 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- Blue Square North 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- Blue Square North 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- Blue Square North 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- Blue Square North 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- Blue Square North 2008-09
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cost of on-street parking charges revealed by Cumbria council (105 comments)
- Warning as 1,800 council jobs hang in the balance (66 comments)
- Cumbria council hires PR guru - at cost of £700 a day (84 comments)
- Anger over plan to charge £20 to park outside your home in Cumbria (69 comments)
- Carlisle's The Lanes shopping centre on verge of expansion (58 comments)