We must beat Histon if we're serious about play-offs, says Workington boss
Last updated at 12:10, Friday, 11 January 2013
Workington Reds must keep their play-off dream alive with victory at relegation-threatened Histon.
Darren Edmondson’s men have dropped off the pace with a slow start to 2013, but the 41-year-old said now was the time to reignite their campaign.
Reds are six points off the pace, but do have four games in hand over some rivals.
“If we are serious about making the play-offs we must beat Histon,” said Edmondson.
“That’s not being arrogant. We have no God-given right to win, but if we are to push on, these are the kind of games we must be picking up points in.
“Histon aren’t going to role over and let us walk away with three points though.
“We will have to work for it.
“They are a young side, and will play without fear.
“But if we hit them from the start, and play with the right mentality, half the battle is won.
“An early goal would settle the nerves, and then we would have a platform to build on.”
Edmondson has halted his search for a more experienced goalkeeper after two impressive performances by Jonny Mitchell.
The Newcastle shot stopper signed after regular No1 Aaran Taylor smashed his wrist.
Edmondson said there’s no reason to jump into the transfer market, and added: “Jonny has been outstanding. He’s really impressed me.
“If he continues to progress, why bring another keeper in?”
First published at 11:41, Friday, 11 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- Conference North 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- Blue Square North 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- Blue Square North 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- Blue Square North 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- Blue Square North 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- Blue Square North 2008-09
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Two retail giants quitting Carlisle (34 comments)
- Fight to block £20 parking charge stepped up by campaigners (12 comments)
- New headline act for Carlisle's Christmas festivities (7 comments)
- Girl, 7, conned into sending nude photos to internet sex predator (10 comments)
- New report tells how Talkin Tarn could become self-financing (3 comments)
- Cost of on-street parking charges revealed by Cumbria council (103 comments)
- Cumbria council hires PR guru - at cost of £700 a day (83 comments)
- Anger over plan to charge £20 to park outside your home in Cumbria (69 comments)
- New KFC restaurant will create up to 40 jobs in Cumbria (50 comments)
- Carlisle's The Lanes shopping centre on verge of expansion (55 comments)