Points in bag but we must get more to ensure survival, says Workington Reds boss
Last updated at 12:20, Tuesday, 10 April 2012
Workington Reds tore apart Colwyn Bay yesterday to extend their unbeaten run to five matches.
Despite netting four points over the bumper bank holiday, Darren Edmondson’s men are still just two points above the relegation zone.
They are one of five teams on 47 points, with only four points separating Corby Town in 11th and 20th Histon, who have a game in hand, in the final relegation place.
Edmondson targeted 50 points for survival and heaped praise on his side for beating their Welsh rivals yesterday.
Goals from Gareth Arnison, Kyle May and Phil McLuckie sealed a valuable three points in this must-win match.
Edmondson, whose side also drew 1-1 with Droylsden thanks to Mark Beck’s first senior goal on Saturday, said: “The two performances have been great and given us a fighting chance. We were by far the superior team and should have had seven goals.
“We asked for a bright start and got it. We had chances before Gareth scored, but, as usual, we let them back into it.
“They didn’t deserve to be level. They didn’t deserve to be in the game. We bossed it for 90 minutes. The goals in the second half came at a great time.
“We knew we needed to kick on after the break, and two strikes in two minutes helped us do just that. The entire one to 11 never gave up throughout and battled hard. We deserved to win.
“It was vital that we did because others have picked up points. Our goal difference has us ahead of the game, but we still need to keep picking up points.”
First published at 11:31, Tuesday, 10 April 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- Conference North 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- Blue Square North 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- Blue Square North 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- Blue Square North 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- Blue Square North 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- Blue Square North 2008-09
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Grey squirrel cull plan in Cumbria (2 comments)
- Cumbrian bride wins wedding dress battle after death of fiance (10 comments)