Penrith knock Workington Reds out of Cumberland Cup
Last updated at 11:41, Wednesday, 05 December 2012
Workington Reds crashed out of the Cumberland Cup, after a 5-1 humbling to minnows Penrith.
The third round loss ended the Borough Park club’s chances of silverware this season, as Scott Allison, John Jardine, Martyn Coleman, Steven Rigg and Richard Faustino found the net for the visitors.
A Richard Bannister strike was all Reds, who fielded an inexperienced side, could manage.
Stu Dixon replaced regular No1 Aaran Taylor in Workington’s goal, with first team stars Phil McLuckie and Anthony Wright also on from the start.
Gari Rowntree was on the bench with 41-year-old manager Edmondson.
“When you look at the team we put out, it’s easy to see why the margin of defeat was so high,” said Edmondson.
“We had three 16 and 17-year-old players in there, and the experience of playing with some of the first team squad can only benefit them.
“I couldn’t play as many first-teamers as I wanted due to work commitments, but it was good that Anthony got another 90 minutes under his belt.
“It’s also necessary for Phil to keep up his fitness, especially when he can’t play every week.
“I wanted to play Lee Andrews to improve his match fitness, but he had work, so we had to play a younger side.
“We came up against Penrith’s first team, so it was always going to be tough.”
Edmondson was let down by Roderick Owusu-Andrews, a 23-year-old midfielder offered a trial with Reds.
The midfielder failed to turn up, according to Edmondson, who said: “It’s disappointing when you agree for a player to come and try out, but he doesn’t show up.”
First published at 11:36, Wednesday, 05 December 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- Conference North 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- Blue Square North 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- Blue Square North 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- Blue Square North 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- Blue Square North 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- Blue Square North 2008-09
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Workington Town's Derwent Park to be renamed (61 comments)
- Story writes-off £1.1m loan to Carlisle Utd (33 comments)
- Carlisle boss: We will not be relegated (39 comments)
- Major boost for Cumbrian roads (39 comments)
- Council disputes claim multi-storey car park is £1m flop (23 comments)