Penrith defeat was not a major setback says Workington Reds boss
Last updated at 13:31, Monday, 26 July 2010
Workington Reds boss Darren Edmondson insists his side will be fully firing when the season kicks off despite the disappointing 3-2 defeat to Penrith.
Reds had skipper David Hewson, Gareth Arnison, Phil McLuckie, Gari Rowntree and Adam Main all missing but Edmondson refused to blame the defeat on being without the quintet.
Trialist Matty Tymon fired his second goal of pre-season with a fine header and Callum Ruttledge sneaked home a penalty but it wasn’t enough to overcome Penrith during a soggy night at Frenchfield Park.
Edmondson said: “Penrith deserved the win. They played the better football at times and I think it would be disrespectful to them to say that we lost because we didn’t have a full strength side.
“You can only beat what is put in front of you.
“The weather was awful but it was the same for both sides. I have no complaints about the defeat. I thought we approached the game well but it didn’t come off for us.
“These things happen but don’t you worry, by the time the Gloucester game comes around this side will be firing.”
Edmondson has challenged his side to start the season brightly and has added extra friendly games into the already full schedule to make sure his side are fully fit come August 14.
He said: “It’s important that we start well. If you do then there’s always a chance you can have a good year. We tasted some success last season and we want the same this time round.
“I want the lads to come out fighting and I’m sure they will. They know what it’s like to win games and I know they will show the same spirit that got us to the play-offs last year this time round.”
First published at 07:14, Monday, 26 July 2010
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- Conference North 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- Blue Square North 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- Blue Square North 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- Blue Square North 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- Blue Square North 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- Blue Square North 2008-09
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Tributes to Carlisle woman who died days after her 26th birthday (18 comments)
- Shop to close after 30 years in Carlisle city centre
- Google erases link to News & Star article under ‘right to be forgotten’ (28 comments)
- North Cumbrian brewery goes into administration
- Two suffer 'serious' injuries in A66 crash