Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Saturday, 19 April 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Ten-man Hyde fight back to take point from Workington Reds

Workington Reds 2 Hyde Utd 2: Workington Reds were forced to settle for a 2-2 draw against 10-man Hyde United at Borough Park on Saturday.

Making a move: Reds’ Shaun Vipond in action against Hyde on Saturday

Despite taking the lead twice in the match, Workington were unable to hold on for all three points.

Striker Andy Cook gave the home side the lead when he pounced to head home a Gari Rowntree cross on 31 minutes.

But Hyde were level just before the break. It was Cook who lost possession in his own half. Chris Sim beat Rowntree and crossed for Daniel Douglas-Pringle, who produced a crisp finish from just inside the box.

Reds went in front again on 57 minutes. A sweeping move involving Cook, Jonny Wright and Gareth Arnison was finished neatly by Arnison at the near post.

However, the lead lasted just three minutes as Adam Collin didn’t get enough purchase on his clearing punch, which was fired straight back past him by Nicky Clee.

Manager Darren Edmondson started with the same side that ran riot against Farsley Celtic in midweek.

With Tony Hopper missing the game on the advice of doctors, it was Phil McLuckie who took his place in the centre of the park.

Arnison, who scored twice against Farsley, began on the right wing with Cook joining Jonny Wright up front.

New signing Dean Gordon was named on the bench. The former England U21 international signed on a week-to-week basis before kick-off.

Reds started brightly, passing well and dominating the game. Jonny Wright was played in by Cook, but the hit man couldn’t find the target on 14 minutes.

Midway through the first half, Cook had a chance of his own to put Workington in front. His snap-shot from 25 yards stung the palms of Eliot Bernstein in Hyde’s goal.

But just two minutes later Cook’s fortunes changed. The powerful forward was unmarked in the box and this time Bernstein had no change from stopping Cook’s header from inside the six yard box.

The goal was no more than Workington deserved but instead of pushing on, Reds allowed Hyde into the game and the visitors were level on the stroke of half time.

Keeper Collin did his best to close down the angle Douglas-Pringle had, but the marksman’s well stuck effort had the Workington shot-stopper well beaten from 15 yards.

Referee Richard Clark gave a total of seven bookings in the match. Workington’s Shaun Vipond, Jonny Wright, Cook and Kyle May all found themselves in the notebook but in truth there was not one bad challenge in the entire 90 minutes.

The decision to give yellow cards for minor incidents incensed both benches with Edmondson and his opposite number Neil Tolson having words with the referee’s assessor in the crowd.

Reds regained the advantage just before the hour mark when a one-touch move involving strikers Cook, Jonny Wright and Arnison was neatly finished by Arnison. His poked shot beat Bernstein at the near post.

But three minutes later Hyde levelled when Collin’s punch failed to leave the box and Clee volleyed the ball first time into the back of the net.

And Hyde should have been in front just four minutes after equalising. Douglas-Pringle went through one-on-one with Collin. The nippy striker looked certain to score, but the ball took a bobble off the turf and his shot flew well over the bar.

Chris Sim was then controversially sent off by referee Clark. The striker was booked in the first half for carrying on with play after the whistle had gone and he was shown a second yellow for the same offence on 68 minutes.

The ball was adjudged to have gone out of play but Sim didn’t hear the whistle and ran clear. Referee Clark called him back and produced a red card to the amazement of the entire Hyde United bench.

Despite being down to 10 men, Hyde could have gone in front. Clee tried his luck from 25 yards with a powerful but Collin topped it over for a corner.

Being a man down brought the Hyde team together and Workington rarely threatened to find a winner.

With time running out substitute Dan Robinson had a chance to steal the match for Workington. The striker, who is yet to open his account for the Reds, dragged his shot from 20 yards wide of the right-hand post.

Star man: No-one really stood out as a man of the match but defender Lee Andrews was solid all game. He won tackles, headers and blocked shots. His partnership with Kyle May is key to Workington and again the twosome worked well together.

Workington Reds: Collin, Langford, Rowntree, May, Andrews, McLuckie, Vipond, Arnison, J. Wright, Cook (Robinson 80) A.Wright (Hardman 66). Subs not used: Gordon, Edmondson.

Attendance: 327

Referee: Richard Clark (Morpeth)



Easter - and your favourite treats will be...?

Chocolate eggs

Hot cross buns

Long walks

Time off work

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for: