Sunday, 30 August 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Arnison equaliser nets FA Trophy replay for Workington Reds

Workington Reds 1 Solihull Moors 1: Workington Reds battled through the horrendous conditions at Borough Park last night but were forced to settle for a draw with Solihull Moors.

Workington Reds action photo
Gareth Arnison

Heavy rain and a swirling wind put an end to the FA Trophy game as a contest. The visitors took the lead of 26 minutes when Greg Mills scored directly from a corner.

His in-swinging kick looked to be going too long, but the wind made the ball plummet to the ground and past ‘keeper Tony Caig.

Reds hit back instantly and Gareth Arnison did well to turn Darren Stapleton and fire past Danny Crane in the Moors goal. He was played in on goal with a beautiful pass from Anthony Wright.

Boss Darren Edmondson stuck with the same side that had beaten both Corby and Eastwood, keeping a clean sheet in both games, but his boys were unable to make it three wins in a row as they failed to get to grips with the weather.

Paul Lloyd should have given Reds the lead on 12 minutes when he was unmarked in the box. Arnison’s low cross was perfect but the Forest Green loanee misjudged his kick and it went harmlessly wide.

Two goals in the space of a minute then took place before Jake Edwards had a great chance to score for Solihull.

Unmarked he stood in the centre of the goal, just 10 yards out he failed to hit the target when it looked easier to score.

After the break, Reds came out looking like they wanted the game finished with on the night.

Arnison was first to show their intent when his deflected header hit the bar from a Gari Rowntree corner minutes after the break.

Arnison had another chance on 54 minutes but for a bobble he would have given Workington a well deserved lead.

Phil McLuckie played captain Jonny Wright down the left wing, his cross was good but Arnison couldn’t connect as the ball hit a loose piece of turf and went out for a goalkick.

Two minutes later and Workington had Solihull on the back-foot again. Arnison’s shot was saved by Crane, the ball came out to the edge of the box where a lurking Shaun Vipond was lying in wait, he pulled the trigger but Theo Streete blocked his effort.

Solihull were playing for a draw, taking their time with every set-piece, and verging on time-wasting.

A great move on the hour-mark gave Lloyd a chance to make amends for his earlier miss but he drilled wide after a sweeping right to left move involving a number of Reds players.

Reds had one final chance to win the tie but Kyle May’s header bounced off the crossbar from 20 yards out.

Team: Caig, Langford, Rowntree, May, Aldred, Vipond, Lloyd (Ruttledge 75), McLuckie (Hopper 79), J Wright, Arnison (Hardman 84), A Wright.

Subs not used: Andrews, Edmondson

Star man: Tom Aldred has been fantastic on loan at Reds and put in another good shift at the back. This lad will be a star.

Referee: B Gordon (Chester-Le-Street)

Attendance: 188



Have we reached saturation point with bars in the city?

No - the more the merrier. It helps to have choice

Yes - we could do with more specialist shops, not bars

As long as they are not all the same I don't mind how many there are

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for: