Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Saturday, 19 April 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Battling Eastwood inflict shock defeat on Workington Reds

Workington Reds 0 Eastwood Town 3: Woeful defending was to blame for Workington Reds’ embarrassing loss relegation-fighting Eastwood.

Corey 'Billy' Greulich

The Nottinghamshire side took the Borough Park club apart at will with strong running and direct passing.

Reds had no answer to the onslaught and failed to cause John Danby, in the Eastwood goal, any problems.

Only some poor finishing by Town’s energetic front men kept the score at 3-0.

Boss Darren Edmondson handed a debut to Hartlepool loanee Billy Greulich, who ran hard, but with very little service, had to make do with chasing down long balls.

The 19-year-old, who came in in place of the injured Anthony Wright, won his fair share of headers but looked rusty in his first outing after coming back from an ankle injury.

Edmondson opted to start with three attack-minded players with Gareth Arnison and Nick Rogan joining the front line.

Edmondson defended his decision to start with an attacking formation, which allowed Eastwood to claim a stranglehold in the midfield.

Through the impressive Lee Stevenson, Eastwood bossed the game from the centre of the park, out-battling their Reds counterparts.

After a lively start with both teams testing the waters, Eastwood grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck.

The visitors took the lead on 12 minutes when centre half Adrian Hawes volleyed in at the far post.

It was poor defending which allowed the defender to get a clean strike from inside a packed penalty area.

Workington had chances to clear the danger but failed and Hawes took full advantage, netting at the far post.

Despite showcasing his attacking threat just six minutes earlier, Hawes was again left unmarked in the box from a corner on 18 minutes.

Luckily for Reds this time his radar was off and the header went wide.

Eastwood’s livewire striker Lindon Meikle caused havoc with his pace and determination up front. His prowess was proved on 21 minutes when he rounded the entire Workington defence with a mazy run but hit a weak shot straight at Aaran Taylor.

Reds’ only real attempt on goal in the first period came through Rogan midway through the half.

The striker turned sharply on the edge of the box but his instinctive strike hit the side-netting with Danby struggling to get over to cover his goal.

The flash point of the opening half came on 31 minutes when Phil McLuckie was taken out late by Anton Foster.

Foster’s high challenge left McLuckie needing three minutes of medical attention from physio Sue Pollock before limping off.

Foster was carded for the foul despite calls from the crowd to send the midfielder off.

Adam Main came on in his place to join skipper David Hewson and Shaun Vipond in midfield.

With 41 minutes on the clock, more shoddy defending saw Eastwood double their lead through Stevenson.

A long, bouncing ball caught out Kyle May and Andy Langford, allowing Stevening to nip in and nod the ball over the flapping Taylor and into the roof of the net.

Some harsh words were said in the Reds dressing room but with Edmondson’s voice still ringing in their ears, Eastwood ended the game as a contest with a third on 50 minutes.

Meikle showed his skill in front of goal to hold off his marker before rounding Taylor.

Keeping his cool, Meikle teed up Foster to smash home the decisive goal.

Taylor was brought into action again just after the hour mark but this time used his legs to great affect by blocking Stevenson’s goal-bound effort.

Eastwood began ripping through the Workington midfield at will and broke with pace.

Matt Rhead had a chance to get on the score-sheet but blazed over from another quick break on 74 minutes. The final 15 minutes passed without incident and the Reds left the pitch to a chorus of boos from the 291 fans.

Edmondson locked his side in the dressing room for 20 minutes after the match as he and assistant Viv Busby talked with the squad about the manner of the defeat.


Workington Reds: Taylor, Smyth, Langford, May, Andrews, Vipond (Tinnion 71), McLuckie (Main 31), Hewson, Arnison, Greulich (Murray-Jones 79), Rogan. Subs not used: White, Blake.

Star man: No-one in a red shirt came out of the game with much credit. The best player on the pitch was Lee Stevenson, who ran the show for Eastwood in the middle of the park.

Attendance: 291

Referee: P Marsden



Easter - and your favourite treats will be...?

Chocolate eggs

Hot cross buns

Long walks

Time off work

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for: